Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2005, 09:56 AM   #121
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have my book at the office and I have every relevant page and paragraph outlined so when I get to work tomorrow I will have a look for you. As for the clams or mussles eating sediment I don't see why that wouldn't work, it should make an interesting addition to your tank.
Yes the larva are a proplem and even though I scrape every 7 days they still find places to multiply, I suppose with a smaller ATS it would be easier to maintain. As for the macro algae, what it seems to do is grow on top of the micro algae covers it, I must admit this only happens occasionaly and it only takes a few days( remember macro algae grows fast too just not quite as fast as micro algae). I tried the 1*1 mesh but patches of algae kept on peeling off , I am not 100% sure if it was b/c the mesh was too small but I have my suspicions. I find the 2*2 mesh easier to maintain.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:58 AM   #122
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Ive looked the book over again and the examples were really not there, they ended up excluding the sediment traps from the systems and then commented that they should have included them..
from what Im understanding though it should be kind of like a sump with baffles to slow down the water to allow the sediment to fall before being pumped away.. that would be the likely location of sediment feeders in my system (unless of course it seems like the main tank could use some as well)
Im thinking there should be a predator for the larvae somewhere

Old 08-10-2005, 12:28 AM   #123
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
i am still thumbing through the book myself, about 150 pages or so left to go. maji you are right about the lack of examples about sediment traps i have found this a little silly myself. anyway i am thinking i am going to selectably re-read some sections though just to make sure its all mentally absorbed.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:56 PM   #124
Aquarium Advice Addict

How is it the algal turf scrubber raises the PH of a tank? Is it that it removes all the CO2? I havnt seen this explained, by the book or otherwise. TIA
Old 08-18-2005, 09:35 PM   #125
Aquarium Advice Regular

As you say it removes the Co2 from the water and therefore the ph rises. On a different note ATS can also lower the kh by using carbonates in the water if there is not enough Co2 for the algae to use, which would have a ph lowering effect. In reality even with the kh lowered the ph will still be very high. Eg, in my tank I did an experiment to see how high the ph would go without injecting Co2, My kh was 1 kh or less and the ph went to over 9, so the point I am trying to make is Co2 injection is needed if you want a low ph.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:47 PM   #126
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdavid
In reality even with the kh lowered the ph will still be very high. Eg, in my tank I did an experiment to see how high the ph would go without injecting Co2, My kh was 1 kh or less and the ph went to over 9, so the point I am trying to make is Co2 injection is needed if you want a low ph.
Why did that happen? Is there a explination for it, it just doesnt make sense thats all.
Why would the PH continue to go up?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:41 PM   #127
Aquarium Advice Regular

As you may know , when Co2 is added to water it produces an acid and therefore lowering the ph(or acidifing the water), so on the other hand when Co2 is taken out of the water, like when algae or plants photosynthesize, naturaly the ph will go up as the Co2 is used. Ofcourse there is a point to when the ph will not go up b/c lack of Co2. In the wild there is an unlimited source of Co2 for the plants to use, so it is very rare to see water with low kh and at the same time have a high ph. On the other hand in our tanks Co2 is quicky used up due to the small water volume. This is exactly why ATS's, will never allow a crash situation to occur, even in a very low buffered tank. That is why your typical bio-filters are not recomended by Dr Adey, b/c bacteria uses oxygen and produce Co2 and there giving way to possible crash situations.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:50 PM   #128
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess what Im asking is what is the PH of your tapwater or source water of your aquarium after it has been gassed out? is the PH 9? I know gassing the water out still leaves about 3ppm(approximation) of CO2 in the test water but will this be close (a little less then the actual value) to the highest value that the tank will achieve without CO2 injection?
Not to go against your previous advice but I dont see why someone wanting a marine reef setup would want to inject CO2 to lower there PH to something like 8.3.. this is just for reference and to make sense of whats going on..
Old 08-21-2005, 12:32 AM   #129
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was refering to an acidic FW tank, with SW tanks there would be no reason to inject Co2 , IME SW tanks are better of with a ph of around 8.2 to 8.6, and as you may know most people recomend the higest possible ph you can get, which the ATS is perfect for doing as I explained eariler. Tests on the ATS proved that in a SW Tank the ph normaly will not go above 8.6 ph , in normal tank opperations , obviously this result may be higher in some instances.
My tank water has a ph of about 6.8 to 7.2. After the tank water has been scrubbed for a while the KH slowly decreases.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:34 AM   #130
Aquarium Advice Regular

I meant to say my tap water has a ph of 6.8 to 7.2 ph, sorry.

Tags
29 gallon, project, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com