Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2005, 05:01 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Im more then patient for good information!

Old 07-13-2005, 08:45 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JProx
Good things are worth waiting for, a wise man once said.

but its kind of funny, you live in japan but don't own a digi-cam.
I find that even more funny than you, what am I thinking? I think the problem is I put too much time and money into my tanks.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:50 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
well that goes with out saying though, which is why i didn't say anything before, ha!

i hope to visit japan one day, always been interested in their culture, and i have already missed one chance to go, which makes me want to go more.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:42 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

ashdavid... I am thinking that I could do a "fishless cycle" sort of thing with ATS.. Like feeding the tank before I put fish in it once I get this thing built.. Im almost absolutly positive this will work to get the ATS started growing some algae but Im just wanting a second oppinion on this detail.. Thanks in Advance..
Old 07-15-2005, 06:08 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Freak

in my inexperienced ATS opinion it would temporarily work and you would need to re-stock the bio-matter, or give just enough to get the algea growing but not actually flourish so when the time came to stock the tank, you would have to severely stagger the addition of new fish.

here's my logic, using a bacteria filter method the typical spikes will occur during days 8-10 and your amm. lvls should spike somewhere around 6-10ppm, during day 28-32 nitrites should spike between 22-26ppm and around day 38 or so, nitrates should spike around 35-40ppm. since an ATS system has the ability to uptake ammonia directly there would be a good chance at day 8-10 it would exhaust the surplus of ammonia and once thats gone, nothing else should be present in any usable quantity then die back would occur. maybe my logic is a little 'fast' and ammonia would be generated at a slower rate by the rotting shrimp, but if that was the case the ATS should still be severally limited in it's production, since it wouldn't have a large surplus.

i would suggest seeding the ATS in an existing tank, so just using comets for the cycle. however if i am wrong, i would love ashdavid to go into detail as too how because i was too thinking of doing the fishless cycle, but then came up the above logic.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:24 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good question. But I have to say that staggering of your stock would be unnecessary. The Ats in a home aquarium usually takes about 3 weeks to be fully fuctional, but if bio-load is minimal it could be done a lot faster theoreticaly. The great thing about the ATS that the algae grows relativly evenly over all surfaces, the fact that there may not be enough nutrients for the algae to flourish, means that the groth rate on a whole is slowed. If nutrients were exhasted there may be a die back in the algae but will usualy be the top layers leving the basal algae still attached to the screen. So when a sudden rise in nutrients occur, the algae just answers to the demand by growing faster, providing there is ample light available.
My advise would be get the screen up and running so you can add your fish when you please. Hope this helps, and I should be getting the pics up soon, sorry again for being so slow.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:36 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here are the pics, I hope they will do, I took the screens out and cleaned the scrubber, this is what behind the bukets look like.

http://www.aquaticphotos.com/details...ad62f6b393def4

http://www.aquaticphotos.com/details...83&mode=search

http://www.aquaticphotos.com/details...84&mode=search
This is a model dump bucket I made before making the big ones.
http://www.aquaticphotos.com/details.php?image_id=788&mode=search[/url]
Old 07-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

NICE!
Here comes the questions.. :P
What materials did you use to make the scrubber, is it plywood with some kind of sealer or is it acrylic as well? The dumpbuckets I can see are acrylic..
Old 07-15-2005, 11:50 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Freak

ash would it be possible to get some pics of the screens to ?
Old 07-16-2005, 03:59 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Freak

green - are you going to be using the ATS on the 75gallon tank ?

ashdavid, i am sorry if you answered these questions already, but
how many gallons is your ATS unit, or the demenisions of the holding tank?
many gallons does the dump bucket hold, how often does it dump (like once every 30mins for example) ? and are you just running 6500k MH bulbs, at like 250watts a piece or so?

and again thank you for sharing.

Tags
29 gallon, project, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com