auto fill or water changer system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Greetings!

We have plumbing to the area and my dh wants to have the tank autofill to accomodate evaporation etc.

We have been trouble finding a float small enough to work in the aquarium. Does anyone know of a good place to find these?

Also are there any links about automatic water changer systems?

Are you talking for your main or in a sump/refuge? I saw an article, maybe two weeks ago about this. I'll see if I can find it.

I was able to find a float that attached to the side of my sump from Tractor Supply Co, wheich was designed to be used for cattle water troughs. It cost about 9 bucks and works great!!

Some people like to prepare water in advance that the auto fillers pull water from. Others prefer to have RO/DI water drop straight into the tank.

Myself, I'm more of the "I'll mix is myself" and then put it in once a week. I've a sump just for that reason to keep the main tank at MAX water level. I can go at least a week maybe even pushing two before I need to add 6-12 gallons to the sump. (All pumps are at the bottom of the tank.)

Thanks so much guys! I posted and then lost this thread :) The small one from drfostersmith I think is perfect! :) We have well water so we dont need to dechlor. that is why the auto fill would be perfect.

I was going to say ebay but it seems that someone beat me to it.

dscount....How do you manage to keep your SG stable if you allow your sump to drop 6-12gallons over a week to two weeks? You do realize that causes your SG to go up as water evaporates right? I auto-top-off from 32g of RO/DI water as the tank needs it via a float switch on my sump. This keeps my SG at 1.024-1.025.

Ziggy - You are correct... It does change my SG if I'm not watching my levels.

Usually I check it before I add the water with my Refractometer. Then based on that I adjust what I'm putting into the sump. IE: 5 Gal mix being added would most likely only have half the salt needed. Like 2-3 gal (In my case 2 1/2 scoops).

Plus. I'm lucky enough to have a small "leak" in the sump area around the hose coming off my skimmer. I just pull that salt off and toss into the next batch bucket.

Works out for me almost perfectly. I've nailed my SG almost each week this way.

Back
Top Bottom