Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Look into a very low VOC or none! I used this one for 130g & 50g & didnt smell anything. No one at home knew that I was painted. Good stuff if you have your aquarium up and running like I did.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There is a paint called plasti dip and is usually used to spray onto cars and if you dont like it you can peel it right off. It comes in a spray can. I think it would be great for the background and it says it can go on most surfaces including glass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2669383959.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	176663  

Old 05-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer8 View Post
There is a paint called plasti dip and is usually used to spray onto cars and if you dont like it you can peel it right off. It comes in a spray can. I think it would be great for the background and it says it can go on most surfaces including glass.

Thats what I did for my 55 gal tank.

What background do you use?
Old 05-30-2013, 03:46 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer8 View Post
Where did u buy the plasti dip paint that' seems a good idea also did you paint with your tank full or empty mines full so wondering if I can still use it
Old 05-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I bought mine from lowes. It's in the spray paint section.

I also painted mine empty as it was a new setup. The drawback to this is the fumes. You will want to do it in a well ventilated area or in the garage. I'm eventually going to do it to my old 20 gal. That one is still running so I will most likely empty most of the water in it (enough for me to carry it) and take it to the garage. It did take an entire can to paint the back of my tank with multiple coats.

Seems like a lot to do but the result is worth it. And they are starting to have additional colors.
t4runnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Wow thanks for all the replys sorry havent been on in awhile. Yea tanks up and running but I was planning on doing a complete tear down(changing subsrate and location of the tank). Thats when im gonna paint it. Now ive got a thought I saw someone posted they used rhino bed liner. Hmm I have a half a can of bed liner I might try that. Its basically an epoxy. Water and scratch resistant. what you guys think? Its black in color
Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4runnr View Post
I bought mine from lowes. It's in the spray paint section.

I also painted mine empty as it was a new setup. The drawback to this is the fumes. You will want to do it in a well ventilated area or in the garage. I'm eventually going to do it to my old 20 gal. That one is still running so I will most likely empty most of the water in it (enough for me to carry it) and take it to the garage. It did take an entire can to paint the back of my tank with multiple coats.

Seems like a lot to do but the result is worth it. And they are starting to have additional colors.
Why not just get the black background and slab it on with some cooking oil? Works great and you can always remove it
Old 06-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could also try some sort of wallpaper. I will dig around but I saw someone else did it for their planted tank and she did a white opaque and it looks great.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post

Why not just get the black background and slab it on with some cooking oil? Works great and you can always remove it
True. But I can remove the plastidip as well with no scraping or chemicals. See the pic above with the plastidip being peeled off the car rim.
t4runnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:55 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well I ended using roll on bedliner because I had a can already and durable.. I really like the look.

Tags
background, paint

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com