background paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used black acrylic paint and a roller to paint the back of my 55. It took about 3 coats to get full coverage. People on here have also spray painted and used latex paint. Just make sure the glass is wiped clean and dry before you start and tape off the edges.

I used black acrylic paint and a roller to paint the back of my 55. It took about 3 coats to get full coverage. People on here have also spray painted and used latex paint. Just make sure the glass is wiped clean and dry before you start and tape off the edges.
+1. Just make sure you use a sponge roller, a cheap one will do. You could do the whole thing for $5!!!!

Yup its a very cheap project that makes a huge difference in the look of the tank! The small bottles of acrylic paint were only 58 cents each. I used a foam roller and it worked too.Between coats I covered the tray and roller with saran wrap to keep it all from drying.

Yup its a very cheap project that makes a huge difference in the look of the tank! The small bottles of acrylic paint were only 58 cents each. I used a foam roller and it worked too.Between coats I covered the tray and roller with saran wrap to keep it all from drying.
Agreed.....

I used rhino liner think it looks the best and don't flake off over time
you can follow the link below in my signature to see how I did mine

I used spray on plastidip. It's great. Best if all, if you don't like it, it peels off.

I had painted my 75 gallon black about a month ago. I bought the cheap acrylics from Wal-Mart. I think I paid $2 for it. . .

It went on really nice. Took about 3 coats to get it nice and covered. I was happy.

UNTIL. . .

I was fiddling with the intake about a week after painting and I managed to get a few water drips down the back of the tank. Well, I look in my tank and what do I see? Water stains running down the back! Lucky me! :banghead:

I tried drying them with a hairdryer. . .no luck.

I tried painting over them. . .no luck.

So, I ended up moving the (full!) tank away from the wall (so glad I put the felt pads under the stand otherwise there is no way that sucker would have slid out). I scraped the old paint off (it came off really nice and only took about 5 minutes with a straight razor)

Then I ran out to Home Depot and bought a small tub (they call it the "test size") of latex based paint. Had them tint it black (which is free of course) and re-rolled that on. It looks so much nicer than the cheap stuff (while still being cheap itself. ..I think it was $4.99 for the test size). And the water doesn't effect it at all.

Just my opinion, but next time around I will avoid the cheap acrylics and spend a few extra bucks for a decent product. Maybe it was just a REALLY cheap brand of acrylic. . .but yeah, water stains running down the back didn't look very nice!

Good luck with the painting.

I had painted my 75 gallon black about a month ago. I bought the cheap acrylics from Wal-Mart. I think I paid $2 for it. . .

It went on really nice. Took about 3 coats to get it nice and covered. I was happy.

UNTIL. . .

I was fiddling with the intake about a week after painting and I managed to get a few water drips down the back of the tank. Well, I look in my tank and what do I see? Water stains running down the back! Lucky me! :banghead:

I tried drying them with a hairdryer. . .no luck.

I tried painting over them. . .no luck.

So, I ended up moving the (full!) tank away from the wall (so glad I put the felt pads under the stand otherwise there is no way that sucker would have slid out). I scraped the old paint off (it came off really nice and only took about 5 minutes with a straight razor)

Then I ran out to Home Depot and bought a small tub (they call it the "test size") of latex based paint. Had them tint it black (which is free of course) and re-rolled that on. It looks so much nicer than the cheap stuff (while still being cheap itself. ..I think it was $4.99 for the test size). And the water doesn't effect it at all.

Just my opinion, but next time around I will avoid the cheap acrylics and spend a few extra bucks for a decent product. Maybe it was just a REALLY cheap brand of acrylic. . .but yeah, water stains running down the back didn't look very nice!

Good luck with the painting.
Great advice. I'm doing my 10g&15g very soon, so I might just look into that paint myself. I have heard a few people mention it here before. I have had no problems with my background but it makes more sense to use a waterproof paint. Cheers(y)

Look into a very low VOC or none! I used this one for 130g & 50g & didnt smell anything. No one at home knew that I was painted. Good stuff if you have your aquarium up and running like I did.
img1439me.jpg

There is a paint called plasti dip and is usually used to spray onto cars and if you dont like it you can peel it right off. It comes in a spray can. I think it would be great for the background and it says it can go on most surfaces including glass.

Attachments

• image-2669383959.jpg
    image-2669383959.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 125
There is a paint called plasti dip and is usually used to spray onto cars and if you dont like it you can peel it right off. It comes in a spray can. I think it would be great for the background and it says it can go on most surfaces including glass.

Where did u buy the plasti dip paint that' seems a good idea also did you paint with your tank full or empty mines full so wondering if I can still use it

I bought mine from lowes. It's in the spray paint section.

I also painted mine empty as it was a new setup. The drawback to this is the fumes. You will want to do it in a well ventilated area or in the garage. I'm eventually going to do it to my old 20 gal. That one is still running so I will most likely empty most of the water in it (enough for me to carry it) and take it to the garage. It did take an entire can to paint the back of my tank with multiple coats.

Seems like a lot to do but the result is worth it. And they are starting to have additional colors.

Wow thanks for all the replys sorry havent been on in awhile. Yea tanks up and running but I was planning on doing a complete tear down(changing subsrate and location of the tank). Thats when im gonna paint it. Now ive got a thought I saw someone posted they used rhino bed liner. Hmm I have a half a can of bed liner I might try that. Its basically an epoxy. Water and scratch resistant. what you guys think? Its black in color

I bought mine from lowes. It's in the spray paint section.

I also painted mine empty as it was a new setup. The drawback to this is the fumes. You will want to do it in a well ventilated area or in the garage. I'm eventually going to do it to my old 20 gal. That one is still running so I will most likely empty most of the water in it (enough for me to carry it) and take it to the garage. It did take an entire can to paint the back of my tank with multiple coats.

Seems like a lot to do but the result is worth it. And they are starting to have additional colors.

Why not just get the black background and slab it on with some cooking oil? Works great and you can always remove it

You could also try some sort of wallpaper. I will dig around but I saw someone else did it for their planted tank and she did a white opaque and it looks great.

Why not just get the black background and slab it on with some cooking oil? Works great and you can always remove it

True. But I can remove the plastidip as well with no scraping or chemicals. See the pic above with the plastidip being peeled off the car rim.

Well I ended using roll on bedliner because I had a can already and durable.. I really like the look.

Back
Top Bottom