Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
come get me tang police!

Bacteria farming

Since I have a bunch of newly setup tanks and even more to set up, I decided to try a bacteria farm.

Hopefully eco will respond with some insight.

This is the setup so far

29 gallon tank

No decor
aragonite layer to buffer water
4 sponge filters of various composition and size
1 magnum HOT filter stuffed with sponges and padding
1 magnum 350 canister filter stuffed with sponges and padding

Plan: Dosing 4ppm-ish of ammonia as needed, once this needs to happen on a daily basis (i.e. cycled) I am going to stick one of the filters into a new tank and see how it goes. If all goes well then I am going to continue the bacteria farm and cycle 40+ tanks with this method.

My only setback currently is that I don't have an ammonia test at home, so I'm going to wing it for a few days till I can get one.

Any comments or suggestions?

Old 11-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

So, you're going to do something similar to what that one company does that sells seeded sponge filters? Only, for the store not to sell (yet anyways?)?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
come get me tang police!

Yup, pretty much. This is for personal use though, but yeah, basic concept. I may give him a call and ask him specifics but he mentioned before that it was a stocked tank, so the only difference is that I'm using ammonia to get a huge bacteria colony going rather than a bunch of large fish.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
So, you're going to do something similar to what that one company does that sells seeded sponge filters? Only, for the store not to sell (yet anyways?)?
Wait? Theres a company that sells seeded sponge filters?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
come get me tang police!

yeah, angelsplus has been selling them for years. They have been mentioned several times on a lot of cycling threads. I tested them out a while ago and they worked great.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
yeah, angelsplus has been selling them for years. They have been mentioned several times on a lot of cycling threads. I tested them out a while ago and they worked great.
Just ordered two(20ppi & 40ppi). How do they ship them to keep the bacteria alive?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
come get me tang police!

Just regular UPS ground packed in a big fish bag with some water. The bacteria does fine usually, it's a lot hardier than people often give it credit for. As long as it stays wet it's good for a while.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Just regular UPS ground packed in a big fish bag with some water. The bacteria does fine usually, it's a lot hardier than people often give it credit for. As long as it stays wet it's good for a while.
Awesome!

Good luck with your indevor also! Running a fishless cycle is rough, but when it does finally take hold, you'll have some great clear, bacteria filled sponges!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I think your method is better than theirs... since you eliminate the possibility of passing a disease from the seeded filters to the new tanks. Gotta wonder why they don't use the same method. I'd like to see some pictures. I am just imagining a tank full of filters that would probably look a bit odd... with crystal clear, highly oxygenated water.

EDIT: After thinking about it... you might not rule out passing a disease... though I'm sure you wouldn't do so willingly. You're not going to fishless cycle the thing are you? You're going to seed it from one of your already established tanks?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
I think your method is better than theirs... since you eliminate the possibility of passing a disease from the seeded filters to the new tanks. Gotta wonder why they don't use the same method. I'd like to see some pictures. I am just imagining a tank full of filters that would probably look a bit odd... with crystal clear, highly oxygenated water.

EDIT: After thinking about it... you might not rule out passing a disease... though I'm sure you wouldn't do so willingly. You're not going to fishless cycle the thing are you? You're going to seed it from one of your already established tanks?

Ah, I forgot to mention, this is an already established 29g, I just took a 5" grass pickerel out of it. =]

The disease thing is kind of a moot point to me, I mean if you sell fish to people they run the same risk as a seeded filter would. The main reason for dosing ammonia instead of stocking the tank is so that I have a known amount of conversion going on, so in essence I could end up making a super bacteria farm that chews through 20ppm or more ammonia a day, if that doesn't instantly cycle a tank I don't know what will.

The only reason I probably won't sell/ship filters is because it's not cost effective for me to do so. If I find a way to make filters cheaply then I may consider it, but until then I'm stuck paying the same premium everyone else does.

Tags
bacteria

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com