Balancing flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mono

Aquarium Advice Newbie
wet dry diy

You guys are great, amazing building this stuff! I'm a smart guy (whatever) but I can't work out how you balance the amount of water being returned with the amount being siphoned? Do you just adjust and adjust until you get it right? Even if it's a bit out, eventually somethings going to flood isn't it? I've been toying with building something, but had just about given up on making below my tank, I was going to put it above, pump dirty water up to it, and let it flow through media and back into tank.

Can you explain (simply) how to avoid the overflow/run dry problem I envisage with putting a non water tight system below my tank?

thanks!!

Re: wet dry diy

mono said:
how you balance the amount of water being returned with the amount being siphoned

a properly working overflow does not siphon water, it just drains off "excess water". Yes, external overflows use a siphon, but only to move the excess water from inside the tank to the drain-area in the overflow. from there, gravity takes care of draining the water down.

this way, the overflow can only drain "excess" water, or water that arrives in the tank in excess of the water level set on the overflow... hmm... try this explination

you have a tank with overflow, and a sump with a pump in it. you fill your sump with water and turn the pump on. the pump is now trying to overfill your tank, using water from the sump. however, the overflow is designed to handle this by allowing water from the tank to do a controlled "spill" into the drain. so water the pump sends up causes water to spill out of the tank (causes the tank to overflow), but because you have an overflow, that spilled water is directed back into the sump.

This system is almosts fool-proof - the achillies heal of it is the capacity of the overflow must exceed the capacity of the pump. otherwise, as the overflow collects debris, it will slow down. once it slows down to the point where it can no longer accept water as fast as the pump provides it, your tank will flood :(

therefore, it's a good idea to over-buy your overflow so an occasional lapse in cleaning is not going to cause a flood in your home!

I've been toying with building something, but had just about given up on making below my tank, I was going to put it above, pump dirty water up to it, and let it flow through media and back into tank.

This system works on the same principals as the under-tank sump, however, it is the sump that is "overflowing" and draining into the tank.

I use two long pieces of airline tubing, stuff into each of the two siphons on my overflow, and just suck out the air ... you have to guesstimate how far to push the tube in, so you reach the apex of the siphon

once you get most of the air, the siphon will start and clear out the rest.

Back
Top Bottom