Base Rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdel747

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i was looking at base rock and i had a few questions for SW set up

i have these kind of rock available to me by way of my ditch line
i like the color of them and there porous texture , they have been in my FW tank for 3 months now with no foreseen problem

so question

1- how can i test these for , or if there leaching bad things out of them

2- i only have fw test kit my High ph is 8.0/8.2 low ph is 7.4
dose this tells any thing ?
I am on well water that test'd out 0.00 across the board from the well police when it was tested few years back ,

how i prepared these before they entered the tank was i power washed them off good , i placed them in worm bleach water for a hour , i then soaked them in fw for hour then power washed them again and back in new fw , then soaked in hot water in the sink then to the tank wile it was cycling ,

so is there any reason i cant use these for base rock , if so why

thanks mdel747

Attachments

• Picture 001_renamed_25680.jpg
    Picture 001_renamed_25680.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Picture 002_renamed_4624.jpg
    Picture 002_renamed_4624.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Picture 003_renamed_21866.jpg
    Picture 003_renamed_21866.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Picture 004_renamed_32151.jpg
    Picture 004_renamed_32151.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 74
I personally use a drop of vinegar on the stones, if they made some foam, then I wont use it in freshwater aquarium. I should add that the pH of my tank is 6.5 because I keep Discus fish. But your tank pH is different. Anyhow, i suggest not to use them if they react with weak acids like vinegar.

Please keep an eye on your stones if they are going to be more porous, it is better not to use them.

thanks Anoush

this is going to be for a SW set up so it looks like they want pH up there
i believe it is high from the well water , i will take a piece out of the tank let it dry over night and test it ,

the rest of it is out side under 3 feet of snow

but my water has been Cristal clear ever since i set it up ,, all my fish are doing great my angles are healthy and growing nice ,

and i didn't know they let you have fish over there in Iran ,,lol

with all of the stuff going on you better keep your head down and stay safe , some how i think things are going to get exciting over there

Dear Friend,

I am too old to talk about politics and prefer to enjoy my life with other nice things. If you have any question about my country i would be glad to answer you in PM. In Farsi we say " The h e l l is not as hot as you think!"

Lets talk about the fish and aquarium.

Love is everywhere even you do not believe it. Do not mix people with governments.

I am sorry for the mistake about fresh and saltwater. accept my excuse.

i just was saying careful ,, fish it is

no bubbles on the rock i only tested the one , I'm not going to tear the tank down to test the others until i get new the intakes in ,, the intakes are to hide my wires and air lines ,

but thanks for the info on the vinegar , once spring gets here i can hunt for more rock,
I'm going to build a waterfall pond this next year , so i need a lot of rock any way

well my fish are going to be here soon i have to run to my lfs to pick them up wile there still in shipping bags , so not to get a dbl transfer into bags

Back
Top Bottom