Basement Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuwave59

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi! I have a new project. I'll hang my TV on the wall, and put a 75g tank under it. The tank is pierced with a corner flow, and will lay on a 8 inches tall stand. I plan to install the sump in my basement. The height for the return would be 9 feet high, but the pipes will have to run horizontally for 20 feet, because I cannot put the sump directly under the display tank. There would be 6 x 90 degres elbows. No problem for the return as I will buy the right pump, but my question is with the flow that comes from the display tank to the sump, which is powered by gravity. I think water alway find its way, but would that long horizontal run would be an issue? Is it a good idea to use bigger pipes on the horizontal ones? (1 inches for vertical, 1 1/2 for horizontal). Would it be a good idea to install dursos on strategic places through the run to add syphon?

I cannot speak for 20 feet, or for the type of flow you'll probably be getting. But my system is designed so that the sump sits next to the display tank, and is set about ten inches lower. From the bottom of the HOB overflow to the top of the sump is actually an increase in height. Water flows about 7 feet horizontally, but with a slight angle upwards, and I've never had a problem with flow. I get roughly 150 gph doing this with 1 inch PVC pipe. I imagine that I could get better flow (and crank the pump up a bit) if my overflow itself could handle higher flow rates. I don't think you'll have a problem with your design. If you've ever seen a house without it's skin, the pipes go all which ways, including long stretches horizontally. That being said, I'd consult an actual plumber to be sure.

Thanks man. A collegue of mine know pipes quite well, and told me that it would not be an issue, but the horizontal run needs to be at level, and not go up for even 1/4 of an inch. I'll just incline the horizontal pipe a little bit so that it'll be easier for the water to go down. And he told me exactly the same thing as you did : pipes go all ways in a house.

It sounds okay to me also, but I've not tried this yet.

I do have plans for a 330g central sump that'll be positioned outside and has to run a good span, so keep us updated on how this turns out.

A sump outside seems to be a good idea in florida, but up here in Canada, doesn't sound so good :p But yes, I'll let you guys know when I do it.

With such a big sump, wouldn't you be afraid for a gator to make it its home? Just kidding buddy :p You guys make a lot of jokes about us Canadians, we have a lot about you too!

That's what I answer to people who complain about our cold winter : "Well, maybe it's freakin' cold here, but I don't have to inspect my boots to make sure there isn't a rattlesnake or a black widow in here before I go out to shovel!" The most dangerous animals here are squirrels I think.

Since your tank is higher then your sump it would push the water for miles as long as the tank was full. Also switching to larger pipe would just take pressure out of your system actually slowing things down at that juncture

Only problem I see with this would be ALL the water in the pipes and what'll happen if you lose power. Once you lose electricity the pumps gonna stop and the waters gotta go somewhere

The most dangerous animals here are squirrels I think.
Man, you gotta watch out for those squirrels. They're ninja, and really devious.

Only problem I see with this would be ALL the water in the pipes and what'll happen if you lose power. Once you lose electricity the pumps gonna stop and the waters gotta go somewhere

VERY valid concern. Make sure that sump can accomodate the volume of the pipes, plus the amount that will be siphoned off the DT. Make sure you have a siphon break hole drilled in the return line just below the water level.

@aaronjohn20 : VERY VERY VERY nice point. Sump will be a 40g (48x13x16), tank 75g (48x18x22). So, with 1 1/2 inch approx of water going down when pump is off, I have 5 gallons + what's in the pipes to keep in mind when designing the sump. I'll use about 30 feet of 3/4 inch PVC pipe and 30 feet of 1 inch pvc. I plan to put 10 inches of water in the sump, so I have 6 inches left (15 gallons), so 5 gallons for the main tank, and 10 gallons for the pipes, think that's more than enough!! I planned to use 12 inches of water, but 10 will be safer.
@MacDracor : Yeah, there's a black one (probably a black belt) that decided it would pass next winter in my shed. I'll have to take kung fu lessons.

You'll just have to test it out when you get everything up and running. Just kill the pump and watch the sump! Who knows, maybe you'll be able to have your water level at 12inches where you want it and still be alright.

Make sure you install one way valves or siphon breaks on the pumped lines. They can create a nasty back siphon that will drain more then you think out of the tank.

Well I just did the math for you and its lookin like your gonna be more than ok with your water level and even bring it up higher than 12inches if you want to. If the pvc your going to be using is the white schedule 40 pvc then here's the following. It takes 37.4 feet of 3/4inch sched 40 pvc to hold 1 gallon of water and roughly 21 feet of 1inch to hold 1 gallon of water. So to me it looks like with your 30 foot each of 3/4 and 1 inch pvc your pipes are gonna be holding not even 2.5 gallons of water. Lol, not very much huh. Your gonna be more than ok. Like I said, raise that water level if you want!

Was about to post exactly the same thing, but thanks for the math! I used a calculator for cylinder aquariums (a tank 270 feet high, with a diameter of an inch...LOL!) and got roughly a gallon. So I'll go with 12 inches!

Back
Top Bottom