Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Since your tank is higher then your sump it would push the water for miles as long as the tank was full. Also switching to larger pipe would just take pressure out of your system actually slowing things down at that juncture

Old 09-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Only problem I see with this would be ALL the water in the pipes and what'll happen if you lose power. Once you lose electricity the pumps gonna stop and the waters gotta go somewhere

Old 09-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwave59 View Post
The most dangerous animals here are squirrels I think.
Man, you gotta watch out for those squirrels. They're ninja, and really devious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronjohn20 View Post
Only problem I see with this would be ALL the water in the pipes and what'll happen if you lose power. Once you lose electricity the pumps gonna stop and the waters gotta go somewhere
VERY valid concern. Make sure that sump can accomodate the volume of the pipes, plus the amount that will be siphoned off the DT. Make sure you have a siphon break hole drilled in the return line just below the water level.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

@aaronjohn20 : VERY VERY VERY nice point. Sump will be a 40g (48x13x16), tank 75g (48x18x22). So, with 1 1/2 inch approx of water going down when pump is off, I have 5 gallons + what's in the pipes to keep in mind when designing the sump. I'll use about 30 feet of 3/4 inch PVC pipe and 30 feet of 1 inch pvc. I plan to put 10 inches of water in the sump, so I have 6 inches left (15 gallons), so 5 gallons for the main tank, and 10 gallons for the pipes, think that's more than enough!! I planned to use 12 inches of water, but 10 will be safer.
@MacDracor : Yeah, there's a black one (probably a black belt) that decided it would pass next winter in my shed. I'll have to take kung fu lessons.
1xFalse Percula 1xFalse Percula (Misbar) 1x Green Mandarin 1xBengal Cardinalfish 1xSix Line Wrasse, 1xRoyal Gramma 1xSkunk Cleaner Shrimp, 1xPeppermint Zoas, Polyps, Finger Leather Coral, Accroporas, Frogspawn, Riccordea Floridas, Brain, Favia, Elegance Coral.
nuwave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

You'll just have to test it out when you get everything up and running. Just kill the pump and watch the sump! Who knows, maybe you'll be able to have your water level at 12inches where you want it and still be alright.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Make sure you install one way valves or siphon breaks on the pumped lines. They can create a nasty back siphon that will drain more then you think out of the tank.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I just did the math for you and its lookin like your gonna be more than ok with your water level and even bring it up higher than 12inches if you want to. If the pvc your going to be using is the white schedule 40 pvc then here's the following. It takes 37.4 feet of 3/4inch sched 40 pvc to hold 1 gallon of water and roughly 21 feet of 1inch to hold 1 gallon of water. So to me it looks like with your 30 foot each of 3/4 and 1 inch pvc your pipes are gonna be holding not even 2.5 gallons of water. Lol, not very much huh. Your gonna be more than ok. Like I said, raise that water level if you want!
Old 09-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Was about to post exactly the same thing, but thanks for the math! I used a calculator for cylinder aquariums (a tank 270 feet high, with a diameter of an inch...LOL!) and got roughly a gallon. So I'll go with 12 inches!

1xFalse Percula 1xFalse Percula (Misbar) 1x Green Mandarin 1xBengal Cardinalfish 1xSix Line Wrasse, 1xRoyal Gramma 1xSkunk Cleaner Shrimp, 1xPeppermint Zoas, Polyps, Finger Leather Coral, Accroporas, Frogspawn, Riccordea Floridas, Brain, Favia, Elegance Coral.
nuwave59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
base, plumbing, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com