Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Basement Sump

Hi! I have a new project. I'll hang my TV on the wall, and put a 75g tank under it. The tank is pierced with a corner flow, and will lay on a 8 inches tall stand. I plan to install the sump in my basement. The height for the return would be 9 feet high, but the pipes will have to run horizontally for 20 feet, because I cannot put the sump directly under the display tank. There would be 6 x 90 degres elbows. No problem for the return as I will buy the right pump, but my question is with the flow that comes from the display tank to the sump, which is powered by gravity. I think water alway find its way, but would that long horizontal run would be an issue? Is it a good idea to use bigger pipes on the horizontal ones? (1 inches for vertical, 1 1/2 for horizontal). Would it be a good idea to install dursos on strategic places through the run to add syphon?

1xFalse Percula 1xFalse Percula (Misbar) 1x Green Mandarin 1xBengal Cardinalfish 1xSix Line Wrasse, 1xRoyal Gramma 1xSkunk Cleaner Shrimp, 1xPeppermint Zoas, Polyps, Finger Leather Coral, Accroporas, Frogspawn, Riccordea Floridas, Brain, Favia, Elegance Coral.
nuwave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Come on guys....one of you must be a plumber or something!

1xFalse Percula 1xFalse Percula (Misbar) 1x Green Mandarin 1xBengal Cardinalfish 1xSix Line Wrasse, 1xRoyal Gramma 1xSkunk Cleaner Shrimp, 1xPeppermint Zoas, Polyps, Finger Leather Coral, Accroporas, Frogspawn, Riccordea Floridas, Brain, Favia, Elegance Coral.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I cannot speak for 20 feet, or for the type of flow you'll probably be getting. But my system is designed so that the sump sits next to the display tank, and is set about ten inches lower. From the bottom of the HOB overflow to the top of the sump is actually an increase in height. Water flows about 7 feet horizontally, but with a slight angle upwards, and I've never had a problem with flow. I get roughly 150 gph doing this with 1 inch PVC pipe. I imagine that I could get better flow (and crank the pump up a bit) if my overflow itself could handle higher flow rates. I don't think you'll have a problem with your design. If you've ever seen a house without it's skin, the pipes go all which ways, including long stretches horizontally. That being said, I'd consult an actual plumber to be sure.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks man. A collegue of mine know pipes quite well, and told me that it would not be an issue, but the horizontal run needs to be at level, and not go up for even 1/4 of an inch. I'll just incline the horizontal pipe a little bit so that it'll be easier for the water to go down. And he told me exactly the same thing as you did : pipes go all ways in a house.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
come get me tang police!

It sounds okay to me also, but I've not tried this yet.

I do have plans for a 330g central sump that'll be positioned outside and has to run a good span, so keep us updated on how this turns out.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

A sump outside seems to be a good idea in florida, but up here in Canada, doesn't sound so good :P But yes, I'll let you guys know when I do it.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

With such a big sump, wouldn't you be afraid for a gator to make it its home? Just kidding buddy :P You guys make a lot of jokes about us Canadians, we have a lot about you too!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
come get me tang police!

Hahaha. Yeah, I guess I shouldn't leave the lid open or I might have a gator and flamingo infestation.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's what I answer to people who complain about our cold winter : "Well, maybe it's freakin' cold here, but I don't have to inspect my boots to make sure there isn't a rattlesnake or a black widow in here before I go out to shovel!" The most dangerous animals here are squirrels I think.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Basement Sump?? Would make a good name for my Dubsteb band LOL!

Tags
base, plumbing, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com