Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
Yesterday I got to work on a unique feature (IMHO) for the sump. This is my spin on most of the DIY stuff I have seen online, a slider tray for the sump. Hopefully will help out with one of the issues I hear about all the time, maintenance and access. Since it's a very small tank I think I'll be able to get away with the idea.

The full extension sliders are from Rockler.com and are rated at 100lbs. I think this will contain a max of 8g when full so I should be right under it. I'm going to include a "kickstand" of sorts for when I have it pulled out. It's got a bunch of braces under that plywood so it's super strong right now. My kid stood on it I don't foresee ever needing to pull it all the way out so it should be fine. If it doesn't work I can always remove it.

I'm also planning to bolt the stand to the wall because it's a tall setup, I'll have a hood which will make it even taller when I'm cleaning it and I have 2 kids.

Sliders on sale: $20
Current cost: $366

Old 08-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Just got the front panel done. This will be held in place by the trim on the bottom and 4 spring loaded magnets just like a stereo cabinet has. No knobs or handles and should be just about invisible when it's in place.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbee2828
Yesterday I got to work on a unique feature (IMHO) for the sump. This is my spin on most of the DIY stuff I have seen online, a slider tray for the sump. Hopefully will help out with one of the issues I hear about all the time, maintenance and access. Since it's a very small tank I think I'll be able to get away with the idea.

The full extension sliders are from Rockler.com and are rated at 100lbs. I think this will contain a max of 8g when full so I should be right under it. I'm going to include a "kickstand" of sorts for when I have it pulled out. It's got a bunch of braces under that plywood so it's super strong right now. My kid stood on it I don't foresee ever needing to pull it all the way out so it should be fine. If it doesn't work I can always remove it.

I'm also planning to bolt the stand to the wall because it's a tall setup, I'll have a hood which will make it even taller when I'm cleaning it and I have 2 kids.

Sliders on sale: $20
Current cost: $366
Haha thats amazingly awesome!?!! Will u make me one?? Lol lol jk jk.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I'm building from my head right now and just made 2 decent mistakes. I need to go buy a few pieces of trim to make up for it but I think overall it's still a decent plan.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Looking good so far! As far as space goes a 55G is fine. Obviously it being tall isn't ideal but doable. How long is the tank? IMO it can work out provided you have lots of rocks and cave structures. Any idea on specific stock? If your going African I for one love saulosi and they only get to be 4".
Old 08-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarr19 View Post
Looking good so far! As far as space goes a 55G is fine. Obviously it being tall isn't ideal but doable. How long is the tank? IMO it can work out provided you have lots of rocks and cave structures. Any idea on specific stock? If your going African I for one love saulosi and they only get to be 4".
That's kinda' what I'm looking at. I really like the yellow labs. The tank is 30" wide. I have bought a tone of rocks and wood for the tank and I'm going to have a few hardy plants as well.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbee2828 View Post
That's kinda' what I'm looking at. I really like the yellow labs. The tank is 30" wide. I have bought a tone of rocks and wood for the tank and I'm going to have a few hardy plants as well.
If your looking at both yellow labs and saulosi your gonna have to choose one. Considering the obvious similarities between females your likely to get some cross breeding.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

True true... maybe I can make a new species and become a millionaire lol. J/K. I will make a decision but I'm not even thinking about breeding. It's going to have to be a bit over crowded to dial down aggression and without clearly marked territory I don't know if they will breed.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

This morning's effort before work. I got the trim glued and tacked in place. The tank sits inside the trim at 1 5/8" flush with the black plastic.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nice work man, stand looking very good. Cant help you much stock wise, because I've never had an african setup, but go with your heart as long as its not too overboard.

Youtube Channel: http://youtu.be/sj0bVYblrZI
andresdeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55 gallon, build, cichlid, ich, malawi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com