Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Best DIY sponge filter media

What is the best best sponge filter media? Im making 3 sponges for my new 75g and was thinking of putting maybe poly fill inside in addition to the sponge outside. Thoughts? Ideas?

Old 08-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bump

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 08-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

What are you looking to do? Put it in some type of filter? Use it as a cover for your pump intakes?
Old 08-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, sorry. I meant to say i want to put 3 sponge filters in the aquarium DIYed from PVC. I just am not sure what the best media would be. I wonder if I could put poly fill inside and the sponge outside. But what kind of sponge should I look for? All the pore counts are confusing.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Any sponge used needs to be coarse to allow water to flow freely. Dense sponge will block the water flow. You can get foam blocks at some pet stores but you may have better luck online. I use a canister filter with 4 drawers. The top one has a foam filter block, the next 2 have bio rings, and the last one I use poly-fil as a water polisher. The foam and bio rings will grow your bacteria colony. You will just need to rinse them periodically to remove the detritus. I only rinse half my bio rings each time I perform maintenance to make absolutely sure I keep my bacteria growing.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Retired_AF you will have better results if you put the floss in the top chamber so it removes as much detritus as possible before reaching the biological portion of the filter. That way the bio-media doesn't get clogged with muck as much/quickly.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was under the impression that the polisher should be the last thing to prevent clogging. Though, the more i think about it I guess it wpuld clog either way no matter the order.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

These plastic pot scrubbers are great, they have a huge amount of surface area and will never clog. You can get them from a dollar store usually. I use them in all my filters.

Just load them in and then put your fine filter media above it. The lack of micro holes that most popular media has nowadays makes it so the biological filter media can't really get clogged.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:56 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

How can you be sure there isn't any soap or chemicals on them?

Old 08-30-2014, 02:01 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennandjuicetm View Post
How can you be sure there isn't any soap or chemicals on them?

They are just plain plastic bundles. I've never heard of them being treated with anything and I can't honestly see a reason they would treat them with any sort of chemical or soap. Nor have I ever heard of anyone having issues with them. I guess if you're worried about it, just rinse them off thoroughly.

Tags
diy, filter, filter media, media, sponge, sponge filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com