Best live food to farm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keegster803

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I have a cycled 1 gallon in my room, and I was wondering what kind of live foods could I breed and raise in it? I was thinking brine shrimp, but idk how. Anyone got any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have a lot of pond snails in my planted 20 gallon, what about brine shrimp?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You aren't going to be able to keep many brine shrimp in a 1 gallon container for very long before they foul up the water. Maybe cherry shrimp if you can keep the water clean enough, or scuds (gammarus). Daphnia would work but they really need larger bodies of water and there's always a chance of the colony crashing, so most people keep multples.

I have a blackworm culture in a small jar with coffee filter pads and an airstone, started out with about a teaspoon and now have several teaspoons after only a month! The fish love them, especially my puffer, and it's really easy! I would go with blackworms.

Nils

I have a blackworm culture in a small jar with coffee filter pads and an airstone, started out with about a teaspoon and now have several teaspoons after only a month! The fish love them, especially my puffer, and it's really easy! I would go with blackworms.

Nils

How do you grow them? As my LFS has some that I could buy to start the culture. And I used to have scuds in the 1 gallon, but they all died out

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I literally took the vase, took some water from a water change I did on my 16, put in some coffee filter pads (brown paper towels work too, just don't use white or else the bleach will kill them) and set up an air pump, then bought about a teaspoon and they've been growing rapidly since! Just feed them every few days, I feed crushed flakes, and do a water change every week. The water level should only be 3-4 inches. I catch and feed them to my fish with a pipette. Hope this helped!

Nils

1g jar, put in some EC from another tank, half fresh water & half tank water, plants, scuds. I feed them something every few days; bottom left in this pic is a tiny piece of broccoli. Non feeding days the jar might appear to be empty but if it's moved even a little bit all the scuds are out and about. I have them living in a few other tanks as well.

img_3195848_0_34b5821366789fd920dffcc954568185.jpg

Back
Top Bottom