Best paint for...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrcrazypants05

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the best type of paint for painting the back of an aquarium. I bought a used 65 gallon with a few little scratches and I was thinking about painting the back of this tank a sort of darker blue... not really the light blue you see on most aquariums. So, any names of paints or whatever you can give me I'll pick some up... Also how much you think I should get for how many coats i need. The glass is 36"x21"

Hmm i don't think they sell that at wal-mart, but I will look around. thanks toirtis. Anyone know where I can find some at a good price?

Would an acrylic latex base paint work? Wal-mart sells Kilz thats acrylic latex. That way I could have them tint it whatever color I would want, AND I would get a discount. lol If not I guess I'll be calling around hobby stores tomorrow anyway.

Hmm. Nope didn't say anywhere on it that it would adhere to glass. I believe it did say it was water-resistant and im pretty sure it's low fume.

Well the paint brand is Kilz. The color I'm going for would be between blue and black. Probably a dark blue. Pretty close to black though.

Sounds good....and remember you want a semi-gloss to gloss finish for best results.

Be sure to post some pics of the results....really dark blue should look very nice.

If the tank is not being used at the moment, you could tape it off and use any shade of Krylon you would like... After it dries it is no toxic and will not peel off without a razor blade.

Yes, Krylon would work...but make sure you can spray outside, as you need excellent ventilation....especially if you have fish/pets in the house....and time to dry....not sure what the Kansas weather is like right now.

Kansas weather today was pretty windy today. It was about 55°F but the wind would have made it a real pain. I bought some Colorplace Enamel Interior Acrylic Latex. Got it an Ink Drop color which is really dark blue. I'll get pics up later tonight when it's done. This way I can work inside. Got my masking tape and everything ready. Wish me luck. lol

Finished painting... some of the paint came off when I pulled the tape off so I left some of the tape on. lol I might strip it all and use krylon and paint it black... or try to match this color. I think the color looks great. Heres a before and after...

Alright this is weird... heres pics linked...

65before.jpg

65after.jpg

Back
Top Bottom