Best way to divide a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tellard

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm relatively new to this but I've got a vision and I'd like to divide my 75 gallon. Doing it with a solid piece of glass with a tight seal, I want to know what type of glass and silicone I should use.

I would probably use plexiglass, as it will bend some without cracking. The downside is that it scratches easily. As far as silicone, I would think any clear, aquarium grade silicone would be fine. I use DAP Aquarium safe clear silicone for any needs with my tanks. It's available at most LFSs and hardware stores. Usually about $6.99 per 2.8 oz tube.

I would probably use plexiglass, as it will bend some without cracking. The downside is that it scratches easily. As far as silicone, I would think any clear, aquarium grade silicone would be fine. I use DAP Aquarium safe clear silicone for any needs with my tanks. It's available at most LFSs and hardware stores. Usually about $6.99 per 2.8 oz tube.

Cheers,what thickness? Also do you think it will bow out a lot?

Acrylic would probably be a poor choice if you want the option of draining one side. Silicone caulk doesn't do well with plastics, having pressure on one side and not on the other is an invitation for it to fail. Unless the acrylic is thick enough to not bend under the pressure you would be adding additional pressure to the seal. If you are just looking at it as a divider to keep fish from getting through, or intend to keep the water depth the same on both sides all of the time it could work. 3m 5200 or other poly based caulks are supposedly better with plastics than silicone caulk, not sure if their bond is as strong as silicone caulk to plastic.

If you are just separating fish and not worried about separating the water (for lack of a better term) acrylic would be fine, or just get some hamburg matten foam and a couple of lift tubes and turn the divider into a filter.

Thanks guys I went with a nice solid piece of half inch glass, can't cheap out on something like that.

Acrylic would probably be a poor choice if you want the option of draining one side. Silicone caulk doesn't do well with plastics, having pressure on one side and not on the other is an invitation for it to fail. Unless the acrylic is thick enough to not bend under the pressure you would be adding additional pressure to the seal. If you are just looking at it as a divider to keep fish from getting through, or intend to keep the water depth the same on both sides all of the time it could work. 3m 5200 or other poly based caulks are supposedly better with plastics than silicone caulk, not sure if their bond is as strong as silicone caulk to plastic.

If you are just separating fish and not worried about separating the water (for lack of a better term) acrylic would be fine, or just get some hamburg matten foam and a couple of lift tubes and turn the divider into a filter.

Fyi 5200 is permanent. The stuff is nutty. Rehabbing a friends boat and the previous owner used 5200 to seal the depth finder base to the console. It still took most of the gel coat and a few chunks of 'glass with it using a putty knife to try and separate the two.

And yeah I know it's an older topic but please don't haphazardly use that stuff.

Back
Top Bottom