Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Big sheets for cut to fit filter pads.

I have seen a few people talk about buying big sheets of filter material or charcoal sheets to cut to fit whatever canister system they use. I have been buying generic pads, that I think are just ones cut by someone else to fit. They were good but the last charcoal batch I got were see through. So think I am done getting those.

I have done a few searches but a few posts I found had expired links and sadly I live in the middle of no where, so there are no pet/fish stores other than pet smart. I tried to search for them myself but not sure if some things I found were even aquarium safe. I am scared I might get something that's treated with chemicals to remove cigarette odor and end up killing my fish. Some of the sites do not give anymore info other than the L x W + Thickness of the roll.

So please, could I get a few links to there to buy aquarium safe charcoal/filter rolls or sheets.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 04-25-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is what I use.....

Big Al's Filter Floss - 20 sq ft

You can get a 10 sq ft roll , but it is only a couple of dollars cheaper .I also use the poly fil from Wal Mart . Just make sure it isn't fire retardant or any thing added .
I use these when I do need carbon . Most with planted tanks only use carbon after medicating........

Seapora Carbon Pad - 18" x 10" | Big Als

Hope that helps....Lee

Old 04-25-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yet - Walmart poly-fill is the way to go. Petsmart/Petco sells the same stuff for like 10x the price calling it "filter media." I use nylon screen replacement material from Home Depot to keep charcoal and crushed coral secured in a canister section. Cut out a piece to fit and dump the loose stuff on top of it.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:16 AM   #4

Thank you both very much.

Will give the poly-fill a try for regular filter, but think I will stick to cutting out the charcoal pads. Using loose, crushed, charcoal seems like it might get messy when I have to clean it out. I bet it does work 10x better though. Where do you get that? I have seen it at the pet store for like four times the price of the pads for a small plastic jar.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I buy the 4lb pail from Amazon for $18:

Old 05-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #6

So glad I asked you where you get it, I was in the store yesterday and they had a 9 oz jar for $8. What a joke these places are.

Thanks again.

Tags
big, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com