Bio-Sand FIlter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Link119

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking of making a mini Bio-Sand filter as a supplement to the normal filtration of my aquarium as a fun project. I think that it may help in the water polishing stage of filtration. I think it would do a better job than the average aquarium filter in removing ammonia, but i do not expect a high flow rate which is why it would have to be a supplemental filtration device.

For those who are not familiar with the Bio-Filter concept... BioSand Filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And dont feel bad in shooting this idea down, it was just an idea.

Fresh, I wonder what I should try for the pump because it would need to be slow.

I was thinking of a really weak pump running constantly but that depends on how fast the water flows

Link119, I'm only jumpping in to offer a thought not advise...you have a 10 gal. tank, and the cost of small tanks of that size here where I live is about $1 per gal. If plumbed using tubbing, and attension paid to level, you could setup a sand tank to a height you desire for the water level...then plumb so your water you want to filter comes in from a tank at the same level or just below...you would have an outlet tube with a ball check valve and crack it open to the flow rate you want...NO pump would be required and variable flow rate to suit your needs. Just a side mention...It would seem this filter would be more effective at lowering or removing nitrates not ammonia...but this is just speculation and I don't know that for a fact. Hope this information proves helpful. PP

I was just wanted to make one for fun, not as a proper filter. Also, a tank full of sand and water would weigh a ton and i really am not looking for a large project. I feel that a tank full of sand would make a really effective filtration system.

Your idea is a good way to take the bio-sand filter to a new level, but i am not going to try it because i am too lazy to buy lots of sand.

Understand, but pool filter sand costs about $6 for 50 lbs. Just thought you might like to know. I think your idea is not that far off the practical use category, but then I like DIY stuff....PP

My problem is the laziness but once I decide to change substrate I might make a larger one...

So i tried making it with some fine sand and the results were miserable because even after sifting the sand it liked to clump up, compact, and some floated so when i decide to buy some PFS i will try again. I did not try it in the tank though, i just used some tank water in a bucket. If any of you want to try it, feel free to. By the way i used a water bottle for the container.

For the reasons you mentioned "because even after sifting the sand it liked to clump up, compact, and some floated" Pool filter sand doesn't do these things by design, and makes a somewhat breathable medial till it requires cleaning (takes some time) then it cleans with vacume or stir methods...you can choose which. I'm not pushing just offer a response to your cause and effect. Besides its all hypothetical on a DIY project you are kicking around the idea of. PP

I am going to go with PFS if i try again for those reasons. I just tried the sand which i mentioned earlier because i already had it.

You could try if you want also, it wont take much time, but it might be quite effective.

It is effective given time, for it takes time to build the low oxygen envirment deep in the sand to effectively drop Ammonia Nitrates, and cost is small yet effective with DIY, and more expensive is the ready made deep sand bed filters that use less sand, and are also effective. I personally don't plan to use this specific type of filter system, but thanks for the suggestion. PP

I meant it wont take much time to make... But knowing that it will take time to become effective would also help.

Back
Top Bottom