Black background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks guys! I love the black backgrounds now. Can't wait to get my 20 gallon painted. Dunno why I didn't do it before.

I used a foam roller for the first coat or 2 and started having some issues. I think I just got a crappy roller because it wasn't turning easily. It would get caught up and then just drag. Come layer 2 I was pulling up dried paint as I went and switched to a foam brush. I would poor a bit of paint on and gently brush it out.

I had my tank on it's side and set up a flash light inside pointing at the back. It really helped me spot the areas that needed another coat of paint too.

The flash light is a good idea bc I had to add a layer after I got it in bc I saw little bits of light poking through. I used a 6" foam roller for cabinets $6 on my acrylic and glass quarantine. I didn't have any issue with sticking. It's whatever works though.

Is there any special prep involved or do you just clean the glass and then paint?

Is there any special prep involved or do you just clean the glass and then paint?

I just gave it a clean and let it dry well and then painted with black acrylic craft paint. No real prep. I did have my tank empty and laid it on it's side. I've heard people having problems with runs and this pretty much solved the problem. Get a good free rolling foam roller. I tried one from the craft store that you attach to the top of the paint bottle and it just kept getting caught up which caused a lot of hassle that could have been avoided.

Spray paint is good too. Just take your time and no heavy coats regardless of which way you decide to paint.

bigbanker said:
Spray paint is good too. Just take your time and no heavy coats regardless of which way you decide to paint.

This is also my method for empty tanks. Always comes out great.

I'm always a bit hesitant to use spray paint. I am not the best with it and can't get even coverage.

Back
Top Bottom