Black background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuMcc99

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have seen a few people going on about painting the back of there tank black, is this a good thing or what? And why do they do it?

It gives the tank a sense of depth, keeps the hoses and wires hidden from view, and can help to show off, by contrast, the colors of the fish, plants and invertebrates in the tank. Some people like a blue or white background. Most people prefer black.

Ok thanks, I have just got one of the ones that you cut to size from the pet shops.
I just wasn't to sure why people was doing it, I would of thought it would of made your tank darker

I have a picture of a reef on the back of my tank, though I think I'd prefer black or blue. But I will NEVER paint the aquarium, I don't like that idea. I'll take and put another backround on with a little bit of scotch tape.

I no what you mean, I wouldn't want to paint it just in case you was to get a bigger one and want to sell it, maybe just paint the background you have got on there now black

If you use acrylic art paint it comes off clean if you ever need to sell your tank.

Pbarkerhb said:
If you use acrylic art paint it comes off clean if you ever need to sell your tank.

Any paint will come off with a razor blade. It's the same as painting a house and getting it on the windows. Scrapes right off.

CorallineAlgae said:
Any paint will come off with a razor blade. It's the same as painting a house and getting it on the windows. Scrapes right off.

+1 to that i work maintenance in an apartment complex i do alot of painting it gets on glass and it will scrape off just fine same goes for glass aquariums

I cut to size some acrylic so it fits in between the braces and paint it the color of choice or pattern you want. Wait till it drys then prop it in place i use 2 powerheads with magnets and you have custom interchangable back drop

As mentioned it comes right off. I know people have gotten it off of acrylic easy enough as well. I just did the back of my 30 gallon glass tank this week. It already looks so much better than my 20 gallon with a backing and all I have in it is sand. lol.. I can't wait to get the 20 down and paint the back of it too.

It really makes a lot of fish colors pop. Just take a look through the photos section and you will see a lot of tanks with black backings. You could do just plain black plastic backing and put it on but I always find backings to be a major PITA to apply. lol.

I have a black plastic background on my tank. Hate it. I wish I had painted the thing black when I set it up.

StuMcc99 said:
Why what's the difference?

Over time the back of the glass gets a hazy film from the moist environment and the background needs to be removed to clean it. It wouldn't be a big deal but my tank is close to the wall and my back is shot. All the tanks I've had that were painted needed no maintinence whatsoever. Because it's hard to clean it usually stays like that for a long time. It really shows up in photos where the haze can reflect light into the lens.

If I hadn't had painted tanks I probably wouldn't be bothered. It's a difference between more maintainence, bad photos, replacing tape, replacing the film if it gets a crease and never looking quite as nice, even when it's new.

I'd never paint acrylic but painting glass is always my first option.

You will have to show us a picture of it if you can

I just got the 30 gallon set up today. It's not the finished products but I needed to get in up and the fish from my 20 moved over so it will do for now. I'll try and get some pictures tonight to post.

I just painted my acrylic tank this past week and it looks great! I used latex acrylic flat black paint and it looks a lot better than my old one with the black vinyl backdrop. It wouldn't sit on the back right and you could see where it wasn't smooth against black. I was really worried before I did it but it was easy and looks good. Mine is a stretched octagon so backdrop wouldn't work.

image-2855964987.jpg

Here is the best pic I could get so far. This is about 2-3 hours after filling the tank and adding the fish. I was very surprised there wasn't more clouding from the sand.

5530-albums10517-picture44409.jpg

It's nothing fancy and a little sparse ATM. I still need to figure out my light set up and will eventually move it over to a planted tank I think but for now it works.

Back
Top Bottom