blasting sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I spent 3 hours washing my sand. It was hazy for a few hours. It will be fine im sure. Also dont bother buying bioballs, get some plain plastic potscrubbers from the dollar store. Works just as good

Ok I can do that lol has anyone ever used the bio stones I'm really tempted to buy these things!!

I put 50% blasting sand and 50% black floramax sand didn't bother rinsing either one, filled with a garden hose and fired up the fluval 304, couldn't see an inch into the tank at first, the only thing I did that I can see making a difference was I took the large foam pad from the sump on my fw 150 and wrung out the nasty to seed BB in the new set up, I don't know if it was the biofilm or what but the water cleared in @ 4hrs. perhaps the addition of some biologics from another set up might be just what you need to attach to the particles that are stiill floating around and weigh them down, sounds a little far fetched but it worked for me

Ok its been 3 wks and my water is clear but not crystal clear like I want!!! I'm so disappointed :( why do I still have this small bit of haze that just won't go away and its drivin me nuts!!

stone1269 said:
Ok its been 3 wks and my water is clear but not crystal clear like I want!!! I'm so disappointed :( why do I still have this small bit of haze that just won't go away and its drivin me nuts!!

You may have a bacterial bloom. It's common when the tank is cycling. Don't despair. It will clear up. I've got tons of plants, so my water is crystal clear, but test your water. Keep up your water changes and cycling and all will be well. :)

manbeast said:
I put 50% blasting sand and 50% black floramax sand didn't bother rinsing either one, filled with a garden hose and fired up the fluval 304, couldn't see an inch into the tank at first, the only thing I did that I can see making a difference was I took the large foam pad from the sump on my fw 150 and wrung out the nasty to seed BB in the new set up, I don't know if it was the biofilm or what but the water cleared in @ 4hrs. perhaps the addition of some biologics from another set up might be just what you need to attach to the particles that are stiill floating around and weigh them down, sounds a little far fetched but it worked for me

You're lucky you didn't burn out your filter. You should always rinse out sand before adding it to a tank, just think of all the crap that's trapped in it right now.

Malawi Freak said:
You're lucky you didn't burn out your filter. You should always rinse out sand before adding it to a tank, just think of all the crap that's trapped in it right now.

wasn't a problem at all, it cleared up very quickly and after a day or two I did check the filter and there was barely a trace of sand and on a fluval the impeller is top mounted with the water flow running bottom to top so any sand that might get in just sits at the bottom, easy peasy

I cleaned my filter a few days after switching to sand and there was quite a bit of sand all over the media and in the bottom of the filter itself but I rinsed it all out and it looks and runs great

manbeast said:
wasn't a problem at all, it cleared up very quickly and after a day or two I did check the filter and there was barely a trace of sand and on a fluval the impeller is top mounted with the water flow running bottom to top so any sand that might get in just sits at the bottom, easy peasy

As with most canister filters, the impeller is on the return side. It's still possible to damage filters, hob's WILL be damaged if they are run while a lot of sand is floating.

Back
Top Bottom