blasting sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stone1269

Aquarium Advice Freak
I took all the gravel out of my tank and I'm putting in blasting sand after I wash it do I need to remove my fish during this or will they b ok cause I don't really have another tank large enough to hold them

if you've already washed the sand and it's still wet I would use a cup or other small container to slowly scoop in the sand, take a scoop submerge it in the tank move the cup to the bottom of the tank and let slowly spill out rather than just dumping it in at the surface, if the water starts to cloud then just let it settle for a while then pick up where you left off. I love the stuff just picked up another 50lbs the other day just to have on hand in case I start another build

Finally done!! Took all day but it was worth it lol how long will stay cloudy? I washed it good but there still sum black debris floating around :(

stone1269 said:
Finally done!! Took all day but it was worth it lol how long will stay cloudy? I washed it good but there still sum black debris floating around :(

You should put some pantyhose over your intake valve to protect your impeller in ur filter

Too late for that lol I jus bought a fluval fx5 yesterday with the sand and was hopin it would get the job done I didn't think bout the impellar jus figured I would wake up n clean the foam pieces an that would b that

stone1269 said:
Too late for that lol I jus bought a fluval fx5 yesterday with the sand and was hopin it would get the job done I didn't think bout the impellar jus figured I would wake up n clean the foam pieces an that would b that

I've got the fx5 to its not to late to cover it. It can damage that impeller too.

The sand is pretty much settled now it just has a really cloudy look like maybe air? Should I use water clarifier?

I hope so I think it will b easier to clean than the gravel because the crap jus sits on the top of the sand lol

I love it. So easy. But about once a month I'll take my finger and gently move it around to release any built up gases under it.

Right that's wat ill do lol this fx5 should b more than enough for my 150g right? It says 960 gph

stone1269 said:
Right that's wat ill do lol this fx5 should b more than enough for my 150g right? It says 960 gph

That's what I've got mine on to plus a small hob that I had on my 30.

I bought the charcoal and the lil white round block lookin things lol

I will get those my nxt trip lol have u ever heard of these bio stones?

stone1269 said:
I will get those my nxt trip lol have u ever heard of these bio stones?

Yes I have, you can order the bio balls alot cheaper than at a lfs! I just got mine in the mail. I got a gallon for 14.99. When I looked at my lfs a little bag with about 35 was over 13.00!

Back
Top Bottom