Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Boiling Driftwood

I'm currently in the process of boiling driftwood. But the driftwood is to big for any pot. So I put it in a wheel barrel, boil some water and fill up the wheel barrel. Leave it outside over two nights (which water will turn cold) then redo the process again for a week or so. I'm doing this to kill the parasites and tannins and try to "water log" the drift wood for it to sink. Does anyone have any tips or tricks while going through this process. I've pretty much done a lot of research and hopefully ever thing works out. TIA

Old 03-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Skype™ to TheGuppyGirl
I heard one tip a while back that salt added to the boiling water helps release tannins. I'm not sure how much you would add to the water, but just be sure to boil it in fresh water a few times after the saltwater boils. Other than that keep it up. If it's mopani wood it's definitely going to have lots of tannin.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Save yourself a lot of time and trouble and bleach it.Soak it in the wheel barrow, with a fairly strong bleach solution, for a few hours or overnight. Rinse well, let dry, and then you can start the soak process for it to sink. If you are worried about any bleach residual, add some dechlor to final soak/rinse. I have bleached lots of pieces of driftwood to remove algae and have yet to have nay issues.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
You can always do the Empty Dishwasher Trick (for those that have Dishwashers). No detergent and run it on it's hottest temp setting. If your DW is not yet waterlogged, this is not the most efficient ... it's really for those that just want to sterilize and release some tannins from the DW.

Hot water's the best way to help water-log it and release tannins as it opens up the pores.
If your not in a huge rush, just leave it in the barrel .. even cold water will eventually water-log it.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the info. I wanted to add driftwood to my 29 gal tank but heard not to use driftwood. I will try that out. I'm sure my goldfish will like that.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Be very clearful with bleach, even a trace left behind in the wood at the end could wipe out your tank.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwolf42 View Post
Thanks for the info. I wanted to add driftwood to my 29 gal tank but heard not to use driftwood. I will try that out. I'm sure my goldfish will like that.
Haha this is my thread lol jk no harm. And thanks for the info guys. I'm in no rush really. I'm going to leave it in the barrel for week or two and change the water every two days with boiling water. Trail and error. That's how you learn.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I caved. I have read to many horror stories. I've bought 53$ bucks worth of driftwood (3 pieces) on Fosters and Smith catalog. I rather pay and know it will be safe than banking on my methods and possibly killing all my cichlids. I will post pics when I relieve them.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

New driftwood. What y'all think
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3315312181.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	161000  
Old 03-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Skype™ to TheGuppyGirl
Pretty sweet.

Tags
boiling, drift, driftwood, oil

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com