Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-25-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Bonding Acrylic to Glass?

I am currently in the process of making a new sump and was wondering if this product will be able to bond acrylic sheets to a glass tank.

If not should I go with a glass on glass bond? TIA....

Squado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I`m going to move this to correct forum and I`ll leave a ghost post or shadow post whatever you want to call it so they can see it here also. Good Luck.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
You should be fine look at speakerman's post on his 55 gallon sump he is doing the same thing bonding acrylic to glass and it looks great.

clubsuperduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Going out on a limb here, but why not just buy some silicone at your local hardware store? Last time I bought pet store type silicone I paid way more for a little tube than if I had gone to the hardware store. Personally I think there's a little old lady somewhere making a killing using a caulking gun and some pre printed resale tubes.
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
I believe there maybe a chemical in that silicone you dont want in your tank.

clubsuperduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thats in the GE's...
Not in the All-Glass
75 Gallon
Rena FilStar xP3, Aquarium Systems Visi-Therm 200W (2), Coralife 48" Aqualight 260W 6700K
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
GE silicone #1 is safe and is 100% pure silicone, The exact same thing as the expensive all-glass silicone and the GE is 1/4 the price. Siliconeing plexiglass to glass is easy but you don't want it where you will have to have any pressure against the plexi or it will pull away from the silicone. Just make sure it says 100% silicone and it is fine. Don't use anything else. The ingredients on the GE says 100% VOC which is silicone. I have used it on numerous occasions and never had a fish die from it and have never had it fail. The glass will break most times before the silicone gives on glass. If you can, I would use glass just to get the bond between the glass pieces and not have to worry about the plexi ever moving or the silicone giving way off the plexi. JMHO.

fish_4_all is offline   Reply With Quote

acrylic, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com