books on building aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkthevandal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i'm looking into building my own tank and i'm trying to find a good book that will help me with the design of the tank and filtration system. dose any one know of a book that would have some good info? any help would be great

none come to mind but a lot of internet sites have do it yourself information on tanks and filters i would start here online. HTH JC

hmm I can't think of anything published either, but this DIY forum has LOADS of information. Many folks like the plans and info found on the GARF site... (I apologize but I don't know the link off hand, do a search here for "GARF" and you'll find it quick enough.) If you're looking for hard facts and numbers, you can pick up a few engineering books on weight bearing designs and load distribution. The library is your friend. The internet is your best friend :wink:

The Marine Aquarium Handbook: Beginner to Breeder by Martin A Moe Jr. has a chapter on building an aquarium out of glass. It talks about the size, shape, style, and construction. Its a little old however, from the 80's i believe, so i dont know if you'd be better off just looking on the internet or not. HTH and good luck to you.

i have that same book, and yes it's very dated in content. i have a re-printed edition from 93-94 but the updates are still dated. what he talks about tank building is still valid though. however theren't many pics of the construction, just an explanation. if you wanted to use this book try getting it from a library, unless you want info on saltwater setups too, the info about saltwater is a little strange and dated though.

shark

if you want, i could scan the pages from the book on tank building and send them your way if you want, just let me know..ok?

JProx
that would be great, not sure how you would want to send them the easyist way would probably be email (carl8232@uidaho.edu) thanks.

Back
Top Bottom