Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2011, 03:24 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tempered glass that size isn't gonna be cheap, might cost the price of the tank and since the bottom cracked and didn't explode means it was standard glass anyways. You could look into a piece of laminated glass, but the split sheet won't have the same tensile strength as a single sheet of the same thickness.

The other thing you need to watch is compromising the seams of the 4 side panels. Any flex while removing/installing the bottom and the silicone seal can be weakened/separated IMO/E. I'd suggest a complete reseal of all 5 pieces while you have it apart.

Good luck!

Old 06-04-2011, 05:43 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i always see people making tanks out of plywood. maybe you could seal a piece of plywood like you would if you were making a plywood tank. ive seen really thick plexiglass at homedepot or lowes idk if you can get a piece that large tho but its worth a shot.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

i would just run a bead of 100% silicon over the crack and run your finger over it and repeat this a few times...wait 24 hours and test it
Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtcurveball View Post
i would just run a bead of 100% silicon over the crack and run your finger over it and repeat this a few times...wait 24 hours and test it
That won't work.

Best way to do this is to replace the glass, I just crack my 20 long the side, what I did was took one of my old 10 gallon n cut it into side. Redo the whole tank.

A good way to do is make a box the same size the tank is without the frame.
Install all 5 glass into the box n seal the inside. This way when ur done, slowing just pull out the box n there u go a repair tank, add the frame more seal n ur done.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I was talking to someone about this at the LFS, they said they once fixed their 220 gal with a similar crack by sealing the crack w/silicone and then getting a piece of 3/4" plywood and and sticking it under the cracked glass to provide the necessary support. Then they put some 1/2" extruded styrofoam from lowes between the plywood and the stand. Anyone ever heard of an approach like that?
Old 06-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

I would just put a new (smaller) piece in over the old and silicone it in. I have seen this done numerous times locally and they all held water just fine. It really is more common than a lot of people think. Only pain is taking the top trim off so u can get the new glass in.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
I would just put a new (smaller) piece in over the old and silicone it in. I have seen this done numerous times locally and they all held water just fine. It really is more common than a lot of people think. Only pain is taking the top trim off so u can get the new glass in.
How small of a piece do you mean? And what kind of glass?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I've never done it personally but from what I've heard you just get the same size piece minus the width of the glass. I'm not sure what type of glass to use with a tank that size.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

If it was my tank I would get a piece of glass about 6 to 8" wide, enough to cover the crack and silicone it in . I would not replace the bottom frame but would set it on a layer of styro. The local Big Al's has a shark tank that is 4' x 8' x 3' tall that has a cracked bottom that was repaired with a patch. the tank holds in excess of 700gallons. Somewhere on the net is a pictorial story about the building of a 16 ' long tank that has 3 pieces for the bottom.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #20

I just bought a 250 gallon tank that was cracked along the bottom. what i did was get a custom peice of tempered glass allready drilled where the overflow and return were and cyliconed it right on top of the cracked glass. i also put a bead of cylicone along the crack.only hard part scraping the old cylicone off along the bottom that sucked because it was such a big tank.

Tags
bottom, crack

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com