Bottom of 180 gal cracked...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it was my tank I would get a piece of glass about 6 to 8" wide, enough to cover the crack and silicone it in . I would not replace the bottom frame but would set it on a layer of styro. The local Big Al's has a shark tank that is 4' x 8' x 3' tall that has a cracked bottom that was repaired with a patch. the tank holds in excess of 700gallons. Somewhere on the net is a pictorial story about the building of a 16 ' long tank that has 3 pieces for the bottom.

I have been waiting for someone to post something saying that they've seen successful patches in large tanks. I really appreciate the input, I think I'm going to give the patch a shot and just let the tank sit with water for a few weeks before I put any fish back in. Gonna get 1/2" glass, I figure I'll get a piece about a foot wide to cover the crack plus some.

I just bought a 250 gallon tank that was cracked along the bottom. what i did was get a custom peice of tempered glass allready drilled where the overflow and return were and cyliconed it right on top of the cracked glass. i also put a bead of cylicone along the crack.only hard part scraping the old cylicone off along the bottom that sucked because it was such a big tank.

Nice save! Any pics of the tank?

This is kinda off topic but the aquarium in the dubi mall(2 million gallons I believe) had a panel of glass that cracked and sprung a leak.....makes u think that a 180gal is not so bad compared to that lol

So I called a few local glass shops... 1/2" glass is literally almost 3 times more expensive than 3/8". I was going to buy a piece 16" wide, so it would just go from the side wall of the tank and out over the crack (Which is about 8" from said side wall). It will run $72 to get 1/2" in a 16" by 23" piece and $25 for same size in 3/8". Would it be more logical to stack both pieces of 3/8" on top of each other and silicon them in for less money, or better to just get the 1/2"? Or would one 3/8" piece probably do the trick?

IMO I would get a new tank or fix the bottom the right way by replacing the whole glass u don't want to come home to 180 GALLONS of water on your floor and all your fish dead do u if u do use a patch you must think about this it is more unstable than the original and if u had a problem before and don't find and fix it next time u may not be so lucky

If the bottom is supported. the thickness of the patch glass would be of little concern. For example, if the bottom were sitting on a solid surface stand with a layer of styro beneath it the thickness of the patch would be of little consequence.

All the fish tanks I've ever seen sit on a rim because the center area is weaker that's y they have the plastic around them and y the stands in stores have a lip so that the weight is on the proper area the strongest area

If I remember correctly all-glass even offers a 5 year warranty if u buy tank and stand together so they know that u have set it up correctly so if it's a allglass with stand under 5 years I would talk to them

IMO I would get a new tank or fix the bottom the right way by replacing the whole glass u don't want to come home to 180 GALLONS of water on your floor and all your fish dead do u if u do use a patch you must think about this it is more unstable than the original and if u had a problem before and don't find and fix it next time u may not be so lucky

I'd love to, but this is just not cost effective for me at this time. I understand what you are saying though. I have a couple of things working to my advantage: 1) My tanks all sit in my garage (heated in winters), so I'm not worried about possible floor damage, all water would run right down into the drain in the middle of the floor. 2) I have all the fish safely relocated right now, and they can stay in their temporary 55 for a few months without being cramped. I will leave the tank filled with water for at least a month after the patch for testing. Any leaks or anything and the fish don't go in.

I think that a patch is a feasible option if there is substantial support underneath the glass from the stand w/the styrofoam buffer, and I'm going to attempt it. Will I ever have 100% peace of mind while there are fish in it? Probably not. But the ocell and mono peacock bass will eventually outgrow it anyway and I'll sell it as a reptile tank when it's time to upgrade to a "big time" tank. Just need it to last me a little while until I can afford larger. If I get any leaks or additional cracks then the thing is either sold as a reptile tank sooner than intended or just scrapped.

All the fish tanks I've ever seen sit on a rim because the center area is weaker that's y they have the plastic around them and y the stands in stores have a lip so that the weight is on the proper area the strongest area

This may be what you have seen, but your conclusion is wrong. If the center was weaker it would have to be supported. The center is raised up to prevent breakage from you sitting the tank on a piece of gravel. Most custom tanks, especially large ones have no trim, especially on the bottom. Those that do have add on pieces rather than the one piece frames used in standard tanks. The commercial tanks stands are basic frames that support the tank at the four corners. the cross pieces do little but hold the stand together. With the open center, there is no risk of you placing the tank on something hard like a stone that might break the bottom. In addition, the stand is simpler and cheaper to make; it doesn't make it better, only sufficient.

If the bottom is supported. the thickness of the patch glass would be of little concern. For example, if the bottom were sitting on a solid surface stand with a layer of styro beneath it the thickness of the patch would be of little consequence.

You have been a big help. What kind of styro do I need to use? I.e., if I walk into Lowes/Home Depot and someone asks me what I'm looking for?

so a 55 without the top or both frame wouldnt be safe?
i got a 55 sittin without the top frame, holding water for 5 months now without any problem. the stand the tank was on was a DIY that wasnt so level. never have a problem.

im thinking of selling the 55, if it safe without the top frame i might just keep it.

Sorry for hijacking. back to ur topic.

Do take pic of the patch, It might help noobie like me patch my tank in the future.

You have been a big help. What kind of styro do I need to use? I.e., if I walk into Lowes/Home Depot and someone asks me what I'm looking for?

my preference is for the white styro. It is inexpensive and comes in 2' widths. I use 3/4 but you could go to 1". If you are going to styro, it allows another possibility, and that is to add a patch on the outside of the bottom as well as the inside. This would necessitate creating a relief for the outside patch by either using a layer of styro the thickness of the glass or making a cutout for it. The cutout might be problematic, but if the base of the tank is supported, there should be no issue; the patch will be providing a seal rather than becoming an important part of the structural integrity of the tank. If you add in this patch you should really reseal the entire inside of the tank so you have a new unbroken seal. Sounds like a lot of work, but a 180 is a serious tank, that isn't cheap to replace. If you could find the build of the 16' tank with the 3 (or 2) bottom pieces you would probably feel more comfortable doing this. With your situation of where the tanks are I wouldn't even give it a second thought. It never ceases to amaze me how cavalier some people are with others money. Personally I would not let this tank go and would welcome the acquisition of a tank in that condition, and I would fix it. Still, to each their own. Almost all of my tanks were purchased as leakers, and I am thankful for these people that have too much money. Good luck with the project.

my preference is for the white styro. It is inexpensive and comes in 2' widths. I use 3/4 but you could go to 1".

Is it the stuff that is used for insulation in houses...? I just want to make sure I get the right thing, I definitely don't want to count on some random employee at a big box store lol.

Which of these (or neither)? Links:
Shop Perma "R" Products 3/4" x 4' x 1' Panel Foam Insulated Sheathing at Lowes.com
Shop Dow 1/2" x 4' x 8' Extruded Polystyrene Insulated Sheathing at Lowes.com

It is the same material used to insulate houses. You could use either the coloured, which is much harder and more rigid than the cheaper to buy white or the white. I prefer the white and have found that even with rimmed tanks there is very little depression from the weight.

So I have ordered the glass for the patch and prepped the tank for the reseal. I have decided to replace the plywood that will be acting as the support for the patched glass. I had three 2' x 2' sections across the top before that have since bowed (and actually may have caused the crack). Any recommendation on the thickness and kind of wood to use? I was thinking of getting a 4 x 8 sheet of 1/2 in "blondewood" plywood from lowes. Anyone have an opinion on the stuff? Also, could I get away with 1/4"? I have 2" x 4" supports every 2 feet running across the top of the stand.

Not sure that anyone cares about this thread anymore lol, but the update is that I ended up buying a nice piece of 3/4" ply, the white styro, and picked up the glass on my lunch yesterday.

After work I tweaked the stand a little bit to make sure it was 100% level, and now have the tank sitting on the styro/plywood. Siliconed in the new patch (it is 3/8" plate glass, I got a 22.25" by 16" piece and it cost $25 if anyone was wondering) and now I'm letting it all cure. I'm going out of town until Sunday, so I'm just gonna let it sit for that time before doing any kind of water test.

Very kool good luck Iam resealing my tank now and was wondering if I need a huge thick bead or a nice clean bead spread evenly?

Nice clean bead. It does not have to be huge and a huge bead is more difficult to smooth evenly. The seal is just insurance against leakage through any voids there may be in the butt joints. It doesn't really add to the structural integrity of the tank.

Ok, so I filled the tank late last night when I got back into town... and she's holding water!! Lol, now I'll sit back and wait to make sure it will hold up before putting any fish back in there.

Thanks for all the help, I may take a picture of the patch tonight if I think about it.

Back
Top Bottom