Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Bottom of 180 gal cracked...

So, a week or so the bottom of my 180 gal tank (6' x 2' footprint) cracked from the front to the back. Luckily, it didn't explode and I was able to get the fish out and drain the rest of the water with only about 20 gal or so of water seeping out onto the floor.

Anyway, I have posted on another forum without any response, was hoping someone on this site could help me. I have read that there are basically two options for me here: 1) remove the old cracked bottom/old silicone and replace that glass piece, silicone it on and silicone inside seams 2) get a piece of glass cut that will fit just inside the tank and on top of the cracked piece, silicone the inside seams.

I have also read several threads where people have just said to scrap the tank because fixing it is too risky? Anyone with experience doing this on a large tank like this that could point me in the correct/"easier" direction?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I myself am not that good at things like that so personally and sadly I would scrap it an get a new tank.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Sorry to hear about this .... thankfully you saved the fish and limited the water loss. Unless you can it professionally fixed for the cost of a new one, I'm going to say get a new tank. I'd consider a cracked glass tank structurally compromised.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #4

you could definately try to replace the bottom of it yourself, or bring it to a glass place and maybe they could do it for you (make sure they use the right silicone)? I honestly have no idea of cost though and it just may be cheaper finding a new 180 tank
Old 06-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Fish R friends, not food!

I would also figure out why it cracked. Whether you fix it or get a new one, you dont want to repeat that mess. I have heard this happening with tanks that are put on a styrofoam pad or something else rather than directly on the stand. Did you have a rock that the point was pushing on the bottom of the tank? I line the bottom of my tanks with eggcrate to avoid pressure spots.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had a cracked 20 gal I think it was or 30 cant remember, several years ago.... I replaced it with a freebie tank I found that didnt hold water. I was able to replace and re did all the seals. That was a small tank tho. Not to sure on the big tank. If you would leave the cracked glass in and lay another on top, I am not sure how that would work. Was the crack due to something being dropped or like a stress crack, for lack of better words? if it was the latter without fixing the cause, it may happen again, if that makes sense. Try craigslist? ive had great luck with it. i got a 140 SW set up that was used 8 months for $300... sold the lighting and sw stuff and it paid for my tank and then some. That was my best find by far! but they needed it GONE NOW!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think your only real option is to rebuild the tank with a new bottom piece and the old sides. I would be very reluctant to just silicone a 'new bottom' over the old one. I think that is a disaster waiting to re-happen. There is a reason the bottom cracked and a quickie patch job on a 180 gallon tank will likely only compound your problem.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #8

Thanks for your responses all. Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about patching up over the crack with a smaller piece of glass, it was going to be the whole 6' x 2' minus the 1/2" for the glass on all sides.

I really think I'm going to just replace the whole bottom end. And I believe the cause of the crack was a stress crack, I don't think my stand was exactly level and it created a pressure point (I will obviously address this prior to setting the tank up again). Also, I didn't have the plastic framing on the bottom and I think this may have contributed to the issue. I ordered a new frame.

Is there anyone who has replaced the bottom of a large tank like this before? I was hoping to draw from someone else's experience?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguebs View Post
Thanks for your responses all. Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about patching up over the crack with a smaller piece of glass, it was going to be the whole 6' x 2' minus the 1/2" for the glass on all sides.
I understand your intentions and think that is a very, very bad idea. There is information on the net about building / rebuilding a tank. Here is something I found quickly, but you can find plenty more if you look around.

YouTube - ‪Rickets Reef: DIY HowTo Make A Glass Aquarium in 3 Steps...‬‏
Old 06-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affordable Aquatic View Post
I understand your intentions and think that is a very, very bad idea. There is information on the net about building / rebuilding a tank. Here is something I found quickly, but you can find plenty more if you look around.

YouTube - ‪Rickets Reef: DIY HowTo Make A Glass Aquarium in 3 Steps...‬‏

I had read that it was a "standard way" to fix a broken bottom with one large crack on some other forum, and to be honest it sounded sketchy to me as well! I am going to attempt to remove and replace the bottom pane with some 1/2" tempered glass, attach the frame on the bottom, and hope for the best... now I just need to call the glass shop. Anyone have an idea on a price for a piece of glass like that? I guess I'll find out

Tags
bottom, crack

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com