Bottom of Tank Overflow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshenanagins

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since I have a turtle tank I was wondering if this could be possible? I was thinking of adding a slit in the PVC wide enough to cause an interruption in siphon, but still allow for most of the flow to come from the original opening at the bottom of the pipe. The idea is that when the water level reaches my main surface overflow, the bottom skimming overflow slit will also be at the same level, in which air will enter the PVC and interupt siphon. So I'm talked two overflows here, one for surface and one for bottom. Really trying to design a sump system that will accommodate heavy turtle waste. There has to be a way! Ill try to get an actual design posted incase I'm confusing anyone.

Ok so this is the design. I'm curious if this will work please let me know if anyone has tried this?

Attachments

• image-206723173.jpg
    image-206723173.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 246
Come on no one is interested in this? I may just have to conduct the experiment on my own.

It looks like a good idea. It will most likely change your flow rate though impacting the return pump.

It looks like a good idea. It will most likely change your flow rate though impacting the return pump.

I'm wondering they too. Not sure if I should connect it to the main overflow or create a seperate line.

Good idea. I'm tired of sumps being only limited to specific setups. I know there has to be a way to modify it to work with a lower overflow.

If I'm following you right, the lower overflow as you call it is siphoning water from bottom of tank over the top of the tank like a lift tube. A small hole drilled in it below the water line should be enough to break the siphon, when the water level drops below it and air gets in it. A small hole shouldn't effect the flow up the tube too much. It should only take a small amount of air flowing into the tube to stop it. you could try it and if not enough drill another hole, until you get the result you want.

Back
Top Bottom