Bow front 55 gallon hood /lid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drew765

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a bow front 55 gallon tank and my lid broke several years ago when I wasn't using the tank. I am looking for any suggestions on building a suitable lid. I called my local Lowes home improvement store, and priced plexi glass and it is crazy expensive, but they have a cheaper corigated plastic used on green houses but not completly sure on using it.. Not transparent.. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
-Drew

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What are the tank dimensions? I know it says it's for 46 gallons but it's often a matter of height increasing capacity:
Marineland Perfecto Glass Canopy 46 Euro (bowfront)| thatpetplace.com

I also know glasscages.com makes custom everything. Worth asking at your local glass shop, too. I'd worry with using other plastics that heat from the light might warp or even melt it and hot plastics sometimes release nasty fumes.

The tank itself is 36 inches wide.. I will get in touch with my glass shop in town and let you know what I figure out thanks alot!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I saw your post last night and I've been trying to think of any ideas since. Do you know the tank manufacture? Maybe you can just buy a new lid/hood from them.

I'm not exactly sure there isn't any stickers on the tank itself..

Glass will be 47 dollars for the dimensions I gave them. With out holes for my filter and cords airlines ect. So id say 70 dollars all said and done.. Too much?

You don't drill holes in glass if it can be avoided. Glass tops normally have a gap at the back filled by a plastic strip so you can cut holes for tubing. Marineland offers replacement strips as well as the lid I linked (which has measurements and may well fit) I realize it shows out of stock but it's easy to find if you Google and at $45 roughly, much less than custom.

I'll have to double check the dimensions on the site and verify everything will fit correctly..

-Drew

Back
Top Bottom