Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2004, 02:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
There simply won't be enough in one sheet to have a euro brace of 3/8" which is why I would greatly consider 1/4" just for the Euro bracing. But as Dusty suggested Euro bracing may not be required and that theory is again reinforced by using 3/8". But for piece of mind sake I still recommend it or at the least two 2" wide 3/8" strips running the length along the top. But we can cross that bridge when we get there. Billy Zs idea will definately help if for some reason you wanted to segregate your refugium, But with the inside baffles lower to help maintain a constant water level you will still get backflow as well as bubbles, bubbles, bubbles returned to the tank. There is simply no way around this unless you go with a totally separate refugium.

R-

Old 07-06-2004, 05:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

BillyZ: That is exactly what I am thinking of implementing with the 45 and a ball valve. However, the refugium will not be totally isolated because of the baffle .

Sumphead: Since one sheet will not work for Eurobracing, then I can do without the Eurobracing. I don't understand the point of the bubbles going back to the display tank??

Old 07-06-2004, 06:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another thing. For the return bulkhead, would there a better place to put it. If I had it at the back, then I will be difficult for me to access the return pump. If I have it at the front, then the pump is is restricting my access to the sump. What a dilemma.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Unfortunately having to step over the pump to get access to the sump is a necessary misfortune of wanting your return pump centered on the main tank. I think the Euro bracing in completely up to you. As for the bubbles; When water is sent to the sump it sucks a lot of air with it from the vent hole in your durso standpipe. When the water hits the sump it is quite turbulent. Having your tank drain into the return chamber will cause your pump to turn what bubbles there are into more and more bubbles returned to te display. HTH. I am not saying it is a bad idea, just a bubblt one.

R-
Old 07-07-2004, 12:11 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

If you're looking for 100% isolation of the fuge in the event it's necessary, you could simply have an additional piece of plexi that slides in over the baffles to cut off the fuge area. Although it sounds like you guys have already budgeted out your full sheet of plexi.

For bubbles... what if instead of the baffles only going up to within a few inches of the top of the sump, bring them up all the way and drill a couple 2" diameter holes in it, and place sponges in the holes? might work as a bubble trap.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:15 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
could also be a nitrate trap as well.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All sponges aren't neseccarily nitrate factories, but they do add to the maintenence list so as not to become one. But through experience sponge doesn't make a good bubble reducer anyway. It tends to make little bubbles out of big bubbles one it get saturated with air.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com