Brine Shrimp Hatchery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobbyDoom

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm not sure where to put this post, so I'll put it here since it is kind of DIY.
So I have a hatchery going as we speak. I search the Internet high and low and decided to go with the most common hatchery, but instead of a 2L, I used a glass display dome. It's about the size of a 2L cut down.
So it's been 24hrs. I shut down the air and let it sit. I noticed some of the traits I read/saw online:
1. Broken cysts floating atop.
2. I hatched cysts floating in the middle.
, but that is as far as it stands.
I have white brine(not orange) wiggling about just under the surface. Not at the bottom like I read/saw online. I also have a ton of cysts resting on the bottom.
Should I leave it overnight? With the white brine grow bigger and or change colour?
There are a ton to be hatched still.

jetajockey said:
I'd let it go a while longer, mine usually take about 30-36 hours to hatch out. They are still good after that, they just lose a lot of nutritional value as they get older.

Excellent, thank you!!
Do they stay white?
Also, I have Neon Tetras, will they eat any cysts that may get in the aquarium and if so, will they be ok?

jetajockey said:
They lose their orange color as they use up their yolk sac. It's not good to let fish eat the cysts, they don't digest them and they can cause intestinal blockage.

Thanks again.
A couple of cysts got into the tank, but when the fish grabbed one, it spat it out right away. So I guess that's a good sign.

xwesx1978 said:
Did you add bleach in the beginning ? Adding bleach will cut down on your unhatched cysts

I did not.
What does the bleach actually do?

xwesx1978 said:
Breaks down the shell on the cysts , it greatly improves hatch out rate

Ok, so I'm using about one litre of water, how much bleach would I use and does bleach not F with the ph?

Here is what I do. To a gallon jar I fill it to the shoulder with tap water I then add 7-10 drops of chlorine bleach (Chlorox) and 4 heaping table spoons of salt. To this I add 1 heaping teaspoon of eggs

xwesx1978 said:
Here is what I do. To a gallon jar I fill it to the shoulder with tap water I then add 7-10 drops of chlorine bleach (Chlorox) and 4 heaping table spoons of salt. To this I add 1 heaping teaspoon of eggs

Thanks, I'll have to figure out the measurements for my set up. That won't be too hard.
I don't use that many cysts. I use the tip of the handle of a spoon, about 1/4" from tip. I only have 10 Neon Tetras and I don't need too much brine for them.
Are you able to store your excess like the site proposes?

Back
Top Bottom