Broken MH bulb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pipermurphy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did a DIY hood for my tank a few months ago. All was fine until I went to clean the Bulbs ( 2 MH&2 PC). One of the 175w MH bulbs was cracked about halfway up from the mogul base& with a gap of about 1 inch between the 2 halves, it still worked but the internals were exposed. When I built the hood I left no barrier between the tank and the bulbs due to a 14" gap between them. I am now rethinking the idea, what do you all use or do? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks again

well i'd be a little concerned about heat perhaps, so I don't know if you'd want to completely enclose the light, but perhaps a simple splash shield beneath the bulp would be enough. A piece of acrylic that you can mount beneath the bulb might be all you need.

JMO

I don't put anything between my bulb and the water. From your description, it is the UV shield that broke, MH bulbs are tiny and enclosed in a UV shield.

So should I still use the MH bulb without the shield and have it exposed to the SW evap? or buy a new one for $65 + ? have you had this happen to you? What would have caused the bulb to crack?

No, do not use the buld without the UV shield. Not sure why it cracked, I would talk to the people I bought the bulb from, they may warranty the bulb.

Back
Top Bottom