building a big tank and have a small question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirfishmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have been researching for about 6 months and now am feeling comfortable with going ahead with my project, i have all supplies needed
i got my directions from the garf site...here is the dimensions they say to go with

Material = Plywood w/ Glass
Tank Height = 24"
Tank Width = 48"
Tank Length = 74 "
Plywood w/ Glass Thickness = 3/4"
Approximate Gallons = 369

Cut List:
3/4" Exterior Grade Plywood
Bottom = 74 " x 48"
Front = 74 " x 23 1/4"
Back = 74 " x 23 1/4"
2 Sides = 23 1/4 " x 46 1/2"
2 Top Brace = 46 1/2 " x 6"

3/8 inch Glass Front
Glass Front = 72 x 21 1/4

i am ok with all this except my Glass for front is already 72 long X 24" high. (and would rather not cut it)...garf says needs to be 72 X 21 1/4....because i will be using 1/2 glass instead of 3/8 can i get away with raising the height to the 26" high which will account for MIN of 2" surrounding glass? i cant calculate on garf as it says
"GARF Does not recommend building a plywood tank longer than 48 inches when the height in more than 24 inches"

what do you all think?

Can you use cross-bracing in a plywood tank? I would think with proper cross-bracing, it should work. In an all-glass tank, it's the height alone that determines the glass thickness. The length determines the amount of cross-bracing required.

the plans on Garf do call for one cross brace, i figured i could throw at least 2 more if i needed to. I am not sure that 2 inches will be much of a difference, but would rather be safe than sorry

Carefull about the floor under that thing once you fill it with water..

Good concrete floor shouldn't be a problem, otherwise I would do some reaserch or asking for perfessonal help.

as far as size goes.. I like really wide tanks vs. tall and long.. but I dont think I could imagine going more then four foot but that length would be too much for me.

i like wide tanks myself, and this is going on a concrete raised floor in my basement....over 3000lbs with only water weight.......i might shrink my measurements to 3 foot wide....but i so like the 4 foot 8O

I would cut the glass, its not too difficult and only a few tools are needed. Never built a tank but have replaced many of windowpanes at my parents when I was younger.

The all-glass version of that tank would require 1/2" glass?

Do you have a vehicle large enough to just take this to a local glass shop for them to cut? If you don't feel comfortable cutting it yourself, that would be the safer way to go.

greenmaji said:
I dont know if 7 foot is advisable now that I think about it..
you might want to run your demetions by www.garf.org 's DIY tank calulator.

IF you read the original post..its says that i went to GARF and that is where i copied and pasted from at the original post....the tank is only 6foot not 7 foot.....so guess you are confused? :?:

1/2 inch instead of 3/8 should give you about 8 more inches in height that you can go. Maybe adding a 1/2 inch to the border in the front will help. Hope you have along arm, ;). The bottom is going to be a long ways away when full. I can not figure out why plywood would stop at 24 inches unless it is weaker than glass. Maybe a plywood that has 12 or more layers and is 7/8 or 1 inch would be a safer bet, and a good cabinet grade.
All in all, I think the tank will be fun and if it works, it would be an awesome one to establish some really cool planted areas, fish establishing territories and all in all a tank that will keep you very busy.

Back
Top Bottom