Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
Talking Video of the Fish Room Project

I finally put together a 10 min video / slideshow of what I've done so far.

Good or bad I have plenty of room to add more tanks.

You meet Myrtle the turtle too. She loves my culls....

YouTube - Fishroom Project

The Fishroom project
sumpnfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie
What an awesome idea. I know you want to do things on a budget but when it comes to the electrical I would definitely get a licensed Electrician in to do the work. With the amount of tanks you want it's not worth risking everything just to save a few bucks. Also remember to use the correct insulation as you probably know sharp temperature fluctuations aren't good for your fish.
Anyway good luck, you should take pictures as you go along step by step and then post them here I'm sure people would love to see your progress.

Some of the aquariums tanks that I like.
kiwicraig7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
im jealous

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Originally Posted by partypalooza5 View Post
I'm just tagging along, but regarding filters:

Couldn't you build a central filtration system for the grow out tanks? I can understand sponge filters for the fry tanks, but wouldn't it be more beneficial to incorporate a central sump or wet/dry filter? (Then again its not necessarily "cheap"..)
to put it simply, it would mean that all of the tanks connected. if one got a sickness, it would travel to all the tanks, and that would be a disaster.
fishmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
Central filtration would be nice but not really feasible in my room. That works with custom tank walls but I'm using tanks picked up cheap from craigslist.com scattered around the room. Plumbing a central system would be very difficult. I've focused on HOB's so maint is easy enough and I can add chem filtration to a single tank if needed.

I wanted to point out that on my largest 225 gal tank the video shows my DIY HOB system that so far is working great. It holds 14 gal and is fed by 2 powerheads each rated at 300 gph. It's full of lava rock and house plants that feed (happily) on the water to remove nitrates. It's sort of like a pond bog filter. I used stuff/junk laying around so I have maybe $15 in it. The tank was free too. It's from a school display that was running back in the '80s. I had to re-seal and build a frame (with more junk I had) but so far it's working great. BTY - GE SilconeI sealant works great. Used it in several tanks with no problems.

It's getting chilly here lately but the heat system is doing it's job nicely so the tanks are staying in the mid to upper 70's with no tank heaters. I'm hoping this proves to save in overall operation costs. This whole project was based on a tight budget as I've been laid off since January...
The Fishroom project
sumpnfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
WOW! I am jealous and now I want my own fish room lol! Looks GREAT! And you have a ton of fish! Was that one tank of fish following you? LOL! Next thing you should do is go into the tank building business! Oh, and love the turtle, she's cute!

dkpate is offline   Reply With Quote

build, building

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com