Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, so I am trying to figure out how to build a floating type of divided sectioned insert to go in the top of a large steralite tub so that I can grow out my male bettas in heated well filtered water.

So I was thinking, what is the best glue or silicone to use? And what is safe and what will hold together well?

I was thinking about building it out of plastic or mesh that I can cut and glue together. It doesn't really have to float... I can probably make some hooks so that it sets down inside of the runner maid tub.

Not sure if I am painting a good enough picture , lol. But I figure this is better than jarring and having to do tons of daily water changes... As was suggested on some breeding sites.

Thanks for any info anyone could give me on what types of material is safe to use!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can anyone at least reccomend a good brand of silicone or glue?

Old 12-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have used GE type I 100% silicone in my tank and it works just fine.
If you are going to use silicone just make sure that it is 100% silicone and that it doesn't have any type of additives or is mold/mildew resistant.
If you are going to use mesh I suggest using something with small holes 1/8 inch or less, and/or if you are going to use plastic, you could get a piece of acrylic from home depot, lowes or a similar store and drill some holes.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, I didn't even think about checking at home depot... if they sell pieces of acrylic I could easily build something, will they cut it to the right sizes for me?
Old 12-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

To be honest I don't know if they will cut it for you, the ones I've seen are by the lighting section.

Tags
betta, build, building, divider, floating, fry, male

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com