Building a glass tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sombunya

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'd like a tank that is a somewhat non-standard size;" 14" wide x 18" tall x 84" or 84" long.

I've been looking at on-line plans to build it and it does not seem that difficult if the right materials are used along with careful assembly.

I got a price from an aquarium manufacturer and because it is a non-standard size I'm looking at $500 or so.

Has anyone tried building their own all glass tank?

I have built a number of all glass tanks over the years, and repaired many more. It is rarely cost effective to build your own unless the glass is free or nearly so. Anytime I have checked, a new tank was cheaper than the cost of the glass used to build it.
The task of building a tank is not difficult, especially if you have a spare pair of hands to help on bigger tanks. As stated earlier, unless you have access to cheap glass, it is often not cost effective, but it is worthwhile and satisfying in itself.

Thanks for your reply.

I just picked up a brand new 100 gallon unit for $159. Very good quality, reinforced etc. Built by a company that has been making tanks for 30 years.

I think your advice is quite sound.

That is a good price, and I doubt you could have gotten new glass to build that tank for that money. Still, I enjoyed building my tanks, and if I could get the glass cheap enough would do so again.

yeah most tanks are very much cheaper than building your own

I believe it since I bought a 100 gallon tank for $159.

60" long, 24" tall, 16" wide. 3/8" inch thick sides, bottom is 1/2", reinforced in all the right places. Built by a 30 year old aquarium company.

The company that built the tank is called Fujimoto Aquariums. They are in Gardena, CA. I did a Google search and the name came up many times but I don't think they have their own website. If you search for the names above you will see the same results I did. Most folks seemed happy with them and with the build quality too. I know I am. The sticker on my tank says it has been in business for 35 years.

60" long x 24" tall x 16" wide. All glass is 3/8 inch thick except the floor is 1/2 inch thick, I was told. Reinforced in the center top and top ends. Empty weight is about 150 lbs., I'd guess. I paid $159 from a local fish/pet store. They have another at that price as well..

Back
Top Bottom