building a octagonal fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellane1

Aquarium Advice Regular
good morning, evening or afternoon everyone..
I happened to be given a huge quantity of glass yesterday and because of the way it is cut, 5ft X 1ft x 1/2" i have had an inspiration to build a tank that is octagonal in shape. I think it will be awesome when finished and will prob hold around the same amout of water as my 6ft tank.
But my limitations are fairly extensive, I am a bricklayer by trade and have trouble chewing gum and walking in a straight line at the same time.
Would anyone reading this possibly have a link tio a site that could give me some usefull advice on building it..
kindest regards and thanks in advance
kell

Not to discourage you but I was looking to build a tank for a long time and all the articles I read said that it is extremly difficult to build any shaped tank besides a rectangle. The glass has to be cut at very precise angles and it is very difficult to get good seals the whole way around. I'll see if I can find any links I used to have. Also, if the glass is only 1/2" thick I belive you will only be able to build the tank no taller than around 18"

Here are a few links a couple are for very large tanks but you may wish to read them anyway.

>>1700G Shark tank<<
>>1000 Tank<<
>>Plexiglass building<<

There were also some insturctions on http://www.garf.org/ but I didn't see them?

hth
Chris

Back
Top Bottom