Building a quality stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redswi

Aquarium Advice Freak
After looking over many sites, and pet supply cataloges, I have come to a few conclusions...
1-Most affordable ,ready-made, stands are very limited in design.
2-They are not very sturdy.
4-The majority of DIY stands are overbuilt by useing basic house frameing methods.

What I want to show is how to build a FURNITURE QUALITY stand that is not only affordable, and easy to build, but stylish. The stand will be 25" wide x 15" deep x 30 1/2" high. It will be built out of Birch solids, and Ply. All materials are readily availible from most lumber yards, and constuction will be simplified to use basic powertools.

The design is still up in the air, I have some ideas, But what I want to know is WHAT FEATURES WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE ??? Doors, Drawers,Levelers,Technique,Ect.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Doors are a gimme
make sure you design it to sustain the weight, without requiring a center brace (easier access)
power control panel

I always though a stand with sliding front panels rather than doors would be handy. That way it would be easier to access equipment inside.

Ventilation is also important, depending on the equipment stored (e.g., chiller). A provision for fans and vents would be good.

Thanks for asking...

How about a complete set-up to include the display tank, sump/refuge, quarantine tank, easy access to all plumbing and an excellent power center to run everything.

I have seen quite a few tank set-ups, and I always wondered why there aren't any with mulitiple display features. What I mean by that is why not have a stand that encloses the equipment, but not the fefuge and or a quarantine as well?

Is everyone embarrassed about their underworkings?

I am just as proud of the system as I am of the display tank.

since you asked....hehehe

You don't need to over engineer a stand for a 30G tank but I'd be hesitant about not 'over building' a stand for a 100G+ that will weigh in excess of 1000 lbs.

Removable side panels/doors on the side are always helpful

Back
Top Bottom