building a stand without the right tools?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bussardnr

Aquarium Advice Activist
i would really like to build a nice stand and canopy for my tank, the problem is i dont have the necessary power saws to do it. are there places that would do shop cuts or let me use their saws for a project like this?

im sure you can rent one. im not sure about them cutting it or letting you use it though

home depot's or lowes will cut your lumber for you, however my local stores have signs all around the saws that say ' no accurate cuts ' and first 2 cuts are free, then 25cents per cut afterward'

once i needed to get some plywood cut, and the employee told me he can't cut wood to less than 12inches in width because of store policy. i explained i am buying the wood at regular price, i just don't have a helper to rip it on my table saw at home, but he wouldn't budge. so i just ended up finding a different employee in lumber and he did it, with no problems, and laughed at the 'store policy' i was told ealier.

best thing to do is get home depot to do the cutting for you (if you dare) or borrow a circular saw from a friend / neighbor. you could also go to a local walmart and *rent* a jigsaw or circular saw from them.

I would try and find a neighbor or friend to borrow them from. If neither of those options weigh out, try the local high school wood shop.

for what it will cost to Rent any tools or pay someone else to do it. You can easily get yourself a quality box saw and corded drill. The box saw is manual, so you'll have to use a little elbow grease, but it will easily give you accurate and straight cuts and a corded drill does everything a cordless drill does, it just does it with a cord :)

Box saws/miter saws:
http://hand-tools.hardwarestore.com/24-91-mitre-boxes.aspx

Back
Top Bottom