Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2014, 10:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Any idea regarding how I can keep a stable water chemistry and ample food supply in my pond?

Old 12-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You can do a trash can filter. Literally a filter made with a trash can. It will add an additional 45G to your pond and let you be able to turn over a large amount of water depending on your pump size.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #13

How does that help with the food problem? Also, how do I make one and what kind of trash can can I use?
Old 12-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWormy View Post
How does that help with the food problem? Also, how do I make one and what kind of trash can can I use?
I am not sure about feeding, I don't know everything, lol. As for the food problem, though, more water equals more area available for food to filter through for the clams health.

A few years ago I made a trash can filter. And there was a thread with the info in it.

Basically the idea is a pump in the pond pumping water into the can, then a waterfall effect maybe even through tubing, back into the pond like a jumbo HOB filter, the trash can a new plastic, brand name which is sturdy and has a lid, filled with "media".

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 12-11-2014, 12:30 AM   #15

The problem is, I don't have a lot of space. Plus, I am living with my parents now since I am 14. Therefore, I do not think that they will be happy to have a trash can right in their sun room. I am not so enthusiastic about having a trash can either. Is there a more attractive or smaller alternative to that? I am aiming for low cost and low to no tech since I am trying to build a "natural" pond.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:36 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I put a cover around the one I had and it was pretty much an experiment, but worked so well I kept it til I moved!

Understand about the space and others not caring for it.

I will let others give a hand to help if they can. I am not sure I can add too much more than that, other than a cabinet for it.

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 12-11-2014, 12:49 AM   #17
come get me tang police!

A good alternative would be to find a clean (preferably food grade) 35 or 55 gallon drum. Some of them come in white, which would be nice as it would let light in to help grow algae.

At this point to be honest I think your best bet is to try to get the system set up to grow the rice happily. I kept madras rice in my front pond for a while this year and it did well till my turtles found it.

Once you get the system set up right for the rice to grow, then start experimenting and trying stuff. Although I don't think the clams are going to do all that well in that small of a system. Either way, if you want to maximize their survival, get the system up and running and put some age on it first, it makes all the difference. sometimes.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #18

Ok, thanks guys!

Tags
ate, build, building, clam, fresh, freshwater, freshwater clam, pond, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com