I ran to ACE Hardware today and got the electrical equipment for my new hood. I figured if I was going to buy a retro kit online, it would cost alot since I'd need a balast no mater what I did. My steps are pretty ideal for a 10 gal
, and total will cost about 30 bucks [ This price includes the screw socket Compact Florescent Plant bulbs you can get at DrFosterSmith or Wal-Mart ]
So, Here is what I did and pics to go with it!
Electrical Parts Rundown
3 Weatherproof Screw Sockets [ No built in on off switch ], $2.50 a piece
On Off Toggle Switch $3.00
Electrical Tape [ I didn't have any around O_o ] $1.50
8 Feet of elecritcal cord, .20 Cents a foot, $1.60
Total = $13.60
As you can see in this picture
I stripped the wire every 5 to 6 inches, starting with the end of the cord and working back. I then too the wire ends of the weatherproof sockets and wraped them around the bare cord wires [ Making sure to keep all my black wires on the same side, and all my white wires on the other ].
I wrapped these connections with electrical tape, overlaping the cut about two inches down the cord with the tape just to make dern sure
I then slipped the heatshrink [ Important, Don't do what I did. Put the heatshrink on first! or else you'll have to disasemble all your work.. ] and shrunk it on with a source of heat, Cigarette litter worked for me.
Repeat the same step above twice more and viola, you get this.
Then I took one of those simple connect cord ends, Follow the instructions on the box how to do that since each ones different.
Viola! The eletrical work is done [ Well, you need to add the toggle switch, but we do that after the box is built so we can optimally place it ]
This took me a total of 15 minutes to do, and its only the first step!
Tomarrow I will be measuring and cutting all my plywood [ I have spare laying around, so.. Freebie! ] and assembling it with 1x1 in all the corners and gorilla glue for strength.
Pics and more to come tomarrow.