building tank...few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishNCovice

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Im new as of this evening.

A friend of mine gave me a tank that he built, as per GARF, it turns out that it is just shy of 75g(so it says), not a bad deal right?
Anyway, he did a bad job on siliconing the pieces together so I have had to redo the whole thing from scratch...i.e scrape all old silicon off, acetone the area, and clean the glass. So, my question boils down to this, according to GARF I need 3/8" glass all around, but I have ordered 1/4" for the bottom, since I figure that I am building a stand out of 2x4s and the tank will be sitting on a level surface, evenly supported. Am I correct in my thinking? Someone please give me some feedback.

Thanks,

PS great site BTW!!!

You will probably get a better response from the DIY forum so Im oving this there.

If the bottom is totaly flat on the solid surface of a stand then I would think the 1/8" difference would not mater. With that said. Depending on how you decorate the tank you would want to avoid any hard pressure points on the glass.

thanks fishfreek

actually i was playing around with substrate ideas and was thinking about sand, or semi-fine gravel in the tank......

i dont know what kind of filter to use either for this tank as it is kinda long, around 44", that would have a good flow rate. also thinking about undergravel filters, if i decide on that then i can toss out the sand idea, right? i did find a Hagen AquaClear that said it handled up to 100g........still doing research though

Back
Top Bottom