Building tanks using plywood?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
not sure on the price of thick glass in australia DeFeKt.. but its kinda pricey over here.. I would tend to think plywood or concrete would be cheaper..
btw.. theres a 2000+ marine tank DIY on reef fontiers (sp?) Mojoreef's board in his sig. if you can find one of his old posts (I just head over to the page 6 of the DSB thread in Marine monster island)

DeFeKt, no offence, but I don't see how having a tank custom built would be cheaper then custom building one youself. If made the same size and with the same materials, DIY tanks should be cheaper, minus the labour costs at shops. Also plywood (around here anyway) is cheaper then the glass or acrylic, so the saving on 2-4 sides of the tank add up. Then there is the priceless satisfaction of pride in doing your own project.

no offence taken,
but I don't see how having a tank custom built would be cheaper then custom building one youself. If made the same size and with the same materials, DIY tanks should be cheaper, minus the labour costs at shops.
Thats right, dunno why that was brought up.
anyhoo,
Ply tanks aren't just built out of wood you know..
ie.
Wood, Fasteners, Glue, Sealent etc.
If you went with fibreglass you've got cost of matting, resin, catalyst, as well as a good coating of safe paint with a rubber consistency.
wood is filthy cheap, it's the rest of it thats expensive. it all adds up.
Using the example of....
Example a corner tank of 100plus gallons can be quite expensive to buy IF you can find the right dimentions
It would be cheaper for me to have one custom made out of 10mm glass.
That is all I was implying.
Then there is the priceless satisfaction of pride in doing your own project.
Thats right, thats what really matters isn't it.
hope this clears up what i meant.

Matt.

Back
Top Bottom