built in aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keyman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
I'm building a new house and I'm thinking of putting a 85 gal FW tank in the wall from the living room to the master bedroom before I get too far installing the drywall, I did all the framing so doing a little redo on the wall is no problem. I'm thinking of having it flush on the living room side and the rest on the bedroom side. I'm also thinking of possible having the tank go thru the same wall a little further down the wall so that it also visable from the bedroom closet-bedroom-living room hence 3 sided viewing and possible conceal all the hardware-filters in the closet--also the tank is predrilled in the bottom and that corner where it is drilled would locate in that closet , perfect to conceal everything,,but I have some emperor 400's I might use instead on the sides of the tank? and just plug the hole in the bottom.

I'm thinking of having the top of the tank at 72" high, I know this will be a pita for maintainence.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hrmmm. I'm going to put this in DIY as you are likely to get more responses there.

Take a look at the tanks GrndHog and I have installed(http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=8667). It might help you visualize what you are thinking about. I can't help you with the filters as I am still very new to this.

72"? That seems a little high. The top of my 55gal is about 56" from the floor and I think that is a little difficult to work with at times. I'm building a fold-out step stool underneath to make maintenance a little easier.

The best advice I can give you is to take your time and do it right the first time. I rushed my install and tried to save money everywhere I could. That earned me an evening of cutting the opening for my tank a second time with a jig saw and rehanging drywall. Not fun.

I wish you the best of luck, and post some pictures. I'd really like to see the whole project start to finish.

Back
Top Bottom