bulkhead size for a 75g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vietcu

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am planning on upgrading to a 75g with a 40g sump. I currently have a mag 7 pump for my eventual return. The 75 is not drilled currently, hopefully that will change soon. So I am wondering what size bulkhead should I go with? I am thinking of only doing one hole for the flow to the sump, and running my return line above the tank. I am thinking of going with a 1.5" bulkhead, what do you guys recommend? And also what size bit should I buy on ebay so that the right bulkhead will fit the hole.

I would go with 2 1" drains on either side of the tank.
A 1" bulkhead needs a 1 3/4" (45mm) hole.
A 1 1/2" bulkhead needs a 2 3/8" (62mm) hole.

Hey cccapt, I went ahead and ordered a 45mm diamond hole cutter. What size pvc pipe do I need to get for that size bulkhead? Just want to buy things ahead of time. My dad has some 1" pvc pipe at his home, so if those fit I wont have to buy any.

A 1" bulkhead uses 1" pvc. You can get either a slip fitting bulkhead where you just glue the pvc to the bulkhead or you can get threaded bulkhead where you screw on a 1" threaded to slip adapter, then glue the pvc to the adapter.

When you do your plumbing you will want a couple of break points so you can take the plumbing off if you need to. I would suggest getting threaded bulkheads. When you go to get your plumbing pick up a couple of unions as well so you can take the plumbing apart.

AHH too late, I went ahead bought a slip bulkhead thinking that it would be easier. Oh well I will figure something out so I can take it apart when I need to.

You can take a look at how I did my plumbing. I used slip fittings, but then only glued in a small piece of 1" pvc. Then I got some 1 1/4" ID clear tubing (I think it was 1 1/4") and used that to create an area I can disconnect the plumbing. It works the same as unions. You should have some way to take the plumbing apart if you ever need to.

I agree you will want to take the plumbing apart at least 2 times a year for cleaning. You will be amazed at what can grow in your plumbing!!

Back
Top Bottom