buying glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish lover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybody i was wondering if anyone knows where there is a good online place to buy aquarium glass to build your own tank. I figure it would be much cheaper to figure out how to build your own big tank than buy one, and by big i mean 150 gallons. It would be nice to if they could cut the sheets for you as well, because i really don't want to have to do that in case i break the glass or it's not straight. I am in really no position to do this right know but i wanted to get ideas for when i decide to do this. I have found one site that sells glass, but i wanted other choices. Thanks

Do you have a local shop for this? Shipping glass is usually pretty expensive due to it's weight and fragile nature.

acrylic would be different. It would still be expensive to ship because of its size, but its not nearly as fragile. I'm sure lowes or home depot would be able to order some, or maybe a little local hardware store?

I know there a local glazing company near to me that cuts glass to size in many different thicknesses including toughend glass that wud b ideal for a fish tank, maybe there's some where similar close to you???

Ya maybe there is a place not to far away i wouldn't want to travel more then 80 miles to get it. I cant really do this though until I have more space unfortunately, so i will have a lot of time to look around. It just seems like it would be really fun.

It sounds like a great idea if I had more time n space I wud probably hav a go myself, good luck with it anyway I hope it goes well for you

Do NOT get tempered glass for a fish tank. If you ever want to drill the tank, you're going to have to replace the whole bottom panel. If you ever chip the glass, expect and explosion of water and glass.

I would be very surprised if you can buy glass to build a tank for less money than a prebuilt store bought. A used tank would be even cheaper. If you could cheaply get salvage glass it might be worthwhile. I have built a few tanks, but the glass was free.

If you check out glasscages.com they sell acrylic and glass sheets to custom dimensions. They can also put them together for you. They deliver once a month all over the country and you pick it up from a truckstop, really well priced.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

thanks for all of the ideas. I did check out glasscages.com. it looks like a good place to go to think about buying a bigger tank. I'm thinking now maybe I just build the stand for the tank, because my uncle has all of the tools. It well save me around 200 dollars to build my own stand. Thanks everybody.

Back
Top Bottom