Can I paint plastic toys to make them safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jd8758

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all! I'm starting my first fresh water fish tank project. I'd like to do the aquarium in a Star Wars theme but can't find "real" aquarium decorations. I've heard krylon fusion spray paint and 100% acrylic paints are safe. Can I paint over a regular children's toy with the safe paint? Or can I use Legos or something to build hide aways and such?

I would think the main thing you should worry about with using basic toys would be any metal pieces inside them that could rust up, or the toy company possibly using a cheap paint that could flake off and possibly contaminate the tank. There's a difference in using inert plastic items (milk jugs, Legos, plastic bottles, etc..) and using plastic painted toys. I would use extreme caution

If you want to seal a toy's paint, you may want to look into Shields All. It'll make it look shiny, but has no toxins and it is generally used for sealing swimming pools and all types of ponds. It's clear too, so no worries about painting over anything. Also, it'll cost around 40 bucks for a gallon because it will ship from Florida.

Krypton plastic is safe. Just save some time and do a Lego build. It would be a very cool build. Plus everything being the same scale will make it easier to layout.

Back
Top Bottom