Can i use stanless steal clamps in my sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irishfanrock34

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had my return line pop off if my pump in my sump at 3am flooding my living room then three days later had my intake hose pop off of my skimmer pump flooding it again. Can u use stainless steal clamps to secure them? Didn't know if the saltwater on the metal would affect my fish

Im unsure if you could use metal clamps but im pretty sure they make plastic ones as well and those should work just as well.

I work with those clamps every day. Don't do it. They are made of 18/8 grade stainless which is the lowest quality there is. It will start to corrode in time

Im unsure if you could use metal clamps but im pretty sure they make plastic ones as well and those should work just as well.

I agree use zip ties they're safe to use and should hold just fine

Yeah zip ties are what I tried and just didn't tighten the flex hose and the hose popped off in the middle of the night and flooded my living room. And I can't find any plastic clamps at any store around here. Looks like I will have to ditch the flex hose and use PVC pipe

Yeah zip ties are what I tried and just didn't tighten the flex hose and the hose popped off in the middle of the night and flooded my living room. And I can't find any plastic clamps at any store around here. Looks like I will have to ditch the flex hose and use PVC pipe

Did you use industrial zip ties they are much stronger and you can get them really right by taking a pliers and taking the excess and pulling as hard as you can it makes a really nice fit if that doesn't work definitely go to PVC

Industrial strength zip ties are available at Heating and Air-conditioner supply houses.
Marine grade stainless steal clamps are available at boating and marine supply houses and plumbing supply houses..
Various plastic clamps are available at landscaping, irrigation and swimming pool supply houses. Some of them will have marine grade stainless steel clamps as well.

The big box stores, Lowe's, HD, etc. Usually sell lower end items, even their "Pro- Grade" labeled stuff is low end "pro."

Swimming pool parts have to handle high pressures and concentrated chlorine, pool supply houses are a great source for other wise hard to find items, and prices are usually cheaper than similar things marketed specifically at aquarists and sold in specialty stores and pet shops..

Back
Top Bottom