Can somebody help me sump build :S

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

westy101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi making DIY sump needs good instructions any help ? Cheers

Here's a quick, easy and most importantly cheap sump.
img_1252683_0_345cd6e29b109818571223e16dc8c2b4.jpg

img_1252683_1_c6027d96172be887e1a7a540033c3537.jpg

img_1252683_2_e8dd7358ddd676682df95979f244fb86.jpg

Here is a diagram i made when i built my first sump I found it hard to find a detailed diagram to work from so during the process of researching many diy sumps and combining many different sketches along with many unsuccessful attempts, I drew this, and it works great.

Now that I have had this sump running for 6 months or so I have a few alterations myself. Mainly I would have (and soon will once I get the time for a quick rebuild) inserted an extra panel in the 'IN' section to allow the water to drop in through a sock, opposed to the water rising, also since building the sump I have added a water level sensor, oppose to the traditional float types I added a small diafram type that simply senses the pressure when the water level drops and shuts of the return pump, and then back on automatically once the water level is restored.

I also made a diy overflow box that also hid two powerheads, again it worked great.

Hope this is helpful!

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

thats the best sump i've ever seen, seriously its so easy to change the filtration and so simple

Wow, for real, make me one. I made one out of a 55gal tank and cut fiberglass partitions and it was a serious pain. That is awesome, I want to steal your design.

Looks great. Do you have a build thread for this one?

Sent from my Epic 4G

Thanks.

Sorry, no build thread for this. Didn't really even document it in anyway except the few pics I took. Pretty simple and straight forward. Get a fitting that fits the intake hose, cut a hole in the top to fit and drill a gazillion small holes in each drawer. Mechanical filtration in the top drawer, and fill the rest with scrubbies. No need to drill all those holes in the bottom drawer though. I just drilled 3 x 1" holes in the front of the drawer for the water come through to the pump. Oh, and that "custom" water de-fuser on top of the filter pad, it one of those plastic tubs that butter or sour cream comes in. I just cut it down and drilled a bunch of holes in it so the water and all the dirt wasn't landing in the same spot. I have Mag18 pumping it back, and there is just enough room in the sump beside it to get a 300W heater in there.

Diesel, where do you put your skimmer?

Well....there is no skimmer in this sump as it was built for a F/W tank. But you could simply install one if you wanted to. If the sump isn't long enough, you can always buy one larger. I think i bought this tub at Canadian Tire here in Canada, for about $20, but I've seen lots of different size ones for sale at Wallyworld and the Home depot. I bought the drawer set at Home Depot . It was $20 too, but I got it for $10 as three of the drawers were cracked along the corners. Since the drawers aren't holding any weight from the water, just the scrubbies, and it's sitting in the sump, it didn't need to be water tight. It is very simple to clean as the drawers just slide out, however the frame comes apart at the bottom of each one of the drawers. There is little plastic nubs that need to be pushed in and it lifts right off. As my hard plumbing is in the way of the drawers, I just cut the little nubs off to make it easier to lift each drawer straight up and off for cleaning. This thing is working amazingly.

This is the sump that got replaced.
img_1253529_0_3e01adb97601db3077babe32e8cbf1e1.jpg

I did some quick calculations in my head and I think I expanded my bio-media capacity by about 400%.
I hope this helps.
Al.

My only problem with diesel's is all the pot scrubbers etc. becoming nitrate factories, but then I saw it was for FW and it does make a lot of sense and very cheap as well.

I believe Ziggy here has something very similar in his FW planted

Would this be a good one for an aquarium 100cm long ? 2ft Hightower 16" deep this is 18.5 long sump would this be a good idea ?

Attachments

• image-3029759510.jpg
    image-3029759510.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 114
Well not really but every body I spoke to on this forum have all said you need a sump so :/

For a SW tank? If you have a larger tank then I'd suggest one, but if it's FW or a smaller SW tank then it's not necessary

Then yes I'd suggest you get a sump, it'd be very beneficial. Possibly going prebuilt if your budget allows, and if not then buy the biggest tank your stand can hold in the bottom

Back
Top Bottom