Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can somebody help me sump build :S

Hi making DIY sump needs good instructions any help ? Cheers

Old 03-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Here's a quick, easy and most importantly cheap sump.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats the best sump i've ever seen, seriously its so easy to change the filtration and so simple
Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is a diagram i made when i built my first sump I found it hard to find a detailed diagram to work from so during the process of researching many diy sumps and combining many different sketches along with many unsuccessful attempts, I drew this, and it works great.

Now that I have had this sump running for 6 months or so I have a few alterations myself. Mainly I would have (and soon will once I get the time for a quick rebuild) inserted an extra panel in the 'IN' section to allow the water to drop in through a sock, opposed to the water rising, also since building the sump I have added a water level sensor, oppose to the traditional float types I added a small diafram type that simply senses the pressure when the water level drops and shuts of the return pump, and then back on automatically once the water level is restored.

I also made a diy overflow box that also hid two powerheads, again it worked great.

Hope this is helpful!

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium
Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry the diagrams pixelated, I will post a clearer one tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium
Old 03-14-2011, 01:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselfool
Here's a quick, easy and most importantly cheap sump.
Looks great. Do you have a build thread for this one?

Sent from my Epic 4G
Old 03-14-2011, 01:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
thats the best sump i've ever seen, seriously its so easy to change the filtration and so simple
Wow, for real, make me one. I made one out of a 55gal tank and cut fiberglass partitions and it was a serious pain. That is awesome, I want to steal your design.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Looks great. Do you have a build thread for this one?

Sent from my Epic 4G
Thanks.

Sorry, no build thread for this. Didn't really even document it in anyway except the few pics I took. Pretty simple and straight forward. Get a fitting that fits the intake hose, cut a hole in the top to fit and drill a gazillion small holes in each drawer. Mechanical filtration in the top drawer, and fill the rest with scrubbies. No need to drill all those holes in the bottom drawer though. I just drilled 3 x 1" holes in the front of the drawer for the water come through to the pump. Oh, and that "custom" water de-fuser on top of the filter pad, it one of those plastic tubs that butter or sour cream comes in. I just cut it down and drilled a bunch of holes in it so the water and all the dirt wasn't landing in the same spot. I have Mag18 pumping it back, and there is just enough room in the sump beside it to get a 300W heater in there.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:37 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Diesel, where do you put your skimmer?

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscamaro View Post
Diesel, where do you put your skimmer?
Well....there is no skimmer in this sump as it was built for a F/W tank. But you could simply install one if you wanted to. If the sump isn't long enough, you can always buy one larger. I think i bought this tub at Canadian Tire here in Canada, for about $20, but I've seen lots of different size ones for sale at Wallyworld and the Home depot. I bought the drawer set at Home Depot . It was $20 too, but I got it for $10 as three of the drawers were cracked along the corners. Since the drawers aren't holding any weight from the water, just the scrubbies, and it's sitting in the sump, it didn't need to be water tight. It is very simple to clean as the drawers just slide out, however the frame comes apart at the bottom of each one of the drawers. There is little plastic nubs that need to be pushed in and it lifts right off. As my hard plumbing is in the way of the drawers, I just cut the little nubs off to make it easier to lift each drawer straight up and off for cleaning. This thing is working amazingly.

This is the sump that got replaced.

I did some quick calculations in my head and I think I expanded my bio-media capacity by about 400%.
I hope this helps.
Al.

Tags
build, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com