canister filter pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im thinking of trying my hand at a DIY canister filter for my 30 gallon.

Im a huge DIY'r and love this stuff. I actually plan to try building a cool acrylic tank this spring (I have a good work space away from the house in a huge garage/shed). Ive done almost every DIY project you can imagine. Just finished concrete counters for my downstairs kitchen recently. Completely rebuilt from stud the entire lower level of my raised ranch.

Id like to eventually use this on that tank should it be functional, which will be bigger but not sure on the gallons yet.

I watched videos and read up and it seems easy except finding a decent pump. I would like to get a decent GPH quiet pump.

I pretty much have all the materials to make it already in my house.

Has to work un submerged and hopefully be around 40$ give or take....

is this plausible? Most of the pumps I see are 100$ plus and for that I can buy a canister with UV sterilization built in.

Sicce pumps;

SICCE Aquarium Pumps - Syncra Silent, Micra, Syncra Pro, Multi Quiet

I have this brand, the 1.5 model, on my 29 gallon pushing a DIY canister setup and I have 0 complaints.
I chose this one because it is either external or submersible, always a + to have options.

I'm afraid they may be a few $$$ out of your price range, but not that far out.
They can be purchased at most of the pet/aquarium supplies retailers online.

How much GPH?

there in lies the conundrum really.

I was looking for something hopefully adjustable because for a 30 gallon I have now 240 probably is more than enough if Im looking to over filter. But when I attempt to DIY my own acrylic it will be double the size give or take so Ill need around the 340 area I guess (going by number of other filters)

I would hate to over filter a 30 gallon at 340 GPH. Thats just uneeded to me and a waste of electricity. Plus my poor fish would be getting sucked up and pushed around like crazy with no where to run lol.

Ive been checking amazon. the eheims seem nice but REALLY expensive. Ive been looking at aquairum and small pond pumps but its also tough to find one that doesnt have to be submerged.

I would hate to over filter a 30 gallon at 340 GPH. Thats just uneeded to me and a waste of electricity.
I am not an expert on DIY canister filters but I think the effective GPH in the tank will be a lot less than the rated GPH because of both the lift of the water to reach the tank and the fact that it is being pushed through media.

Have you looked at the mag drive pumps at all?

I know this goes against the point here but... i picked up a sunsun 304b (330 gph roughly) for like $40.. it works great.. I'm a diy guy too.. i feel like it's tough to compete with Chinese factories though;) you can always diy inline stuff and water change systems if you get bored. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

at 340 gph that is just at the recommended turn over rate of ten times tank volume per hour for a typical 30 gallon tank.

I saw the sunsun ones on amazon.
I have an idea in my head when I build my own tank but for now this will be a basic canister with a pull and push lift until its swapped
I get like this, I become obsessed with something and then do it and done.

But If I can actually build my own tank and custom filtration/cleaning system it would be pretty awesome.

Make a sump!

Make a sump!

sort of near that design. this wont be until spring that I start the tank so Ill be doing some testing and designing when I get time.

Right now Im renovating and trying to get some rentals filled. Nice to have a hobby again

Back
Top Bottom